Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box

Old 09-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
gptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura about
gptoy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to gptoy
2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box

I finally have something to contribute! I just installed a small system in my truck so I thought I'd share what I did.

I like having an aftermarket stereo in my truck for the extra features they have so once I got my new-to-me Taco I knew I'd be putting something in fairly soon. I don't like anything too flashy that'll attract attention nor do I want to rattle windows all the way down the street while I drive through either so a small amp/sub combo with a aftermarket deck w/ iPod control was on my list.

For the sub, being that I only have an Access Cab and two little girls I wanted to keep all 4 seats available for the times that my wife had the 4Runner and I had to use my truck for family duty. I know there are boxes out there to fit this bill but I'm on a budget, I had an old 10" JL since forever and an old amp I bought for my old 4Runner forever ago so I wanted to use those and build a box to fit between the two back jump seats. It's a very low-buck system overall.

I had an Alpine CDA 9886 that worked really well in my last Taco, but I found a really good deal on a JVC double din DVD deck (KW-AVX720) that I had to jump on. It's more flashy then what I planned for but I like the DVD option and it looks less "aftermarket" when installed in my opinion (looks like a factory installed NAV even though Taco's never came with them, perhaps this would deter potential theives that don't know this(yes, I'm a bit paranoid)) so I'm pretty happy with it so far. I also got the Sirius kit so it'll run through the deck.

The box took some time to put together, I used 3/4" MDF for the top/bottom/edges of the box, and 1/2" MDF for the sides. I wrapped it in foam-style carpet underlay (almost like memory foam) and wrapped it in marine grade vinyl. I wanted the box to look like it belonged as part of the truck, again not to attract too much attention. The idea is that it'd look/act as an arm rest between the back seats and sort of look like an extension of the center console. The vinyl is a bit lighter grey than the factory interior but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Although the box is wedged in there so tight I pretty much rendered the storage pockets under the back seats useless as it was a extremly tight fit to get it in there. And by the pics it's obvious I'm no fabric pro but for the money it's all good.

Anyhoo, enough of my blabbering (probably best I don't have too many of these threads as I can sure yak on forever...., lol)
Attached Thumbnails
2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box-dscn2868.jpg   2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box-dscn2870.jpg   2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box-dscn2881.jpg   2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box-dscn2879.jpg   2nd Gen Access Cab Custom Sub Box-dscn2882.jpg  

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
that pretty cool but as you said the storage pockets are now useless but good job doing it yourself
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
gptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura aboutgptoy has a spectacular aura about
gptoy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.

Turns out not long after I built it I ended up getting a flat. The box was wedged in so tight it took forever to get it out of the way to get the jack out. As soon as I got home I took out some of the padding that was against the console which made it easier to remove the box now.

Also, I now have a cap so I just put all my gear back there so other than the jack I really don't use the storage cubbies anyways.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
jackotaco9 is on a distinguished road
Name: jack
jackotaco9's Tacoma Gallery
do u happpen to have all the measurements im think im might do mine like ure but a 12
Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
gptoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackotaco9 View Post
do u happpen to have all the measurements im think im might do mine like ure but a 12
I didn't really measure much, I used cardboard to make a template from the side, then measured my sub and made sure I had about an inch extra width both sides (which yours would be different anyways with a 12).
Old 11-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
jahitch1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
jahitch1's Tacoma Gallery
this is exactly what i want to make, but i want to route out room so the storage under the jump seat can still be accessed
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
TacomaZeus is on a distinguished road
Army: GS-14 Classified!!!
Name: John
TacomaZeus's Tacoma Gallery
good job man, I just got a 2010 Access Cab and thats what im looking for. Hope you dont care if you idea is hijacked!!!