Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Do You Really Need Rear Speakers in a Double Cab

Old 09-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
abnchief is on a distinguished road
Army:
abnchief's Tacoma Gallery
Do You Really Need Rear Speakers in a Double Cab

I have a 2009 DC TRD Offroad without the JBL option. I am in the process of upgrading my stereo. Here is what I have bought so far:

- HU: Pioneer AVH-P3300BT DVD Receiver from Crutchfield (Includes wiring harness and dash kit)
- XM Tuner: Pioneer GEX-P920XM (Ebay)

- XM Antennae Shark Fin Adapter (myradiostore.com) to use factory XM antennae.
- Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steergin Wheel Control Interface (Amazon)
- Ipod Interface - Pioneer CD-iU50V
- Kicker DS6.2 6 1/2" Component Speakers (sonicelectronic)
- Amp: Kicker DX1252 (sonicelectronic)
- Wiring Kit (sonicelectronic)

- 1" Speaker Depth Extenders (sonicelectronic)

I don't need a booming sound system, just something that's better than factory.

So.. after reading and re-reading several threads on here I get the impression you don't really need rear speakers.

Based on the system I am building would you recommend adding rear speakers or just go with what I have?

If I don't add rear speakers do I just disconnect the factory ones?

What about adding a small powered subwoofer?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
I am not a fan, but many people feel the rear speakers help "fill out" the sound, and miss it very much when it is not there.

Personal choice.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Prolly be fine, the rears kinda just add some fill. I didn't put any speakers in the rear doors (disconnected factory ones) after I dropped a pair of 8s behind the seats, and upgraded the fronts and HU. To me it just has better imaging.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
They do serve a purpose for me. Kinda like surround sound.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
No rear speakers for me. Never saw the point. I'd never be able to hear them over the front speakers and if I could it would play all types of fuckery with my mind.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
No rear speakers for me. Don't see the point. When you're at a concert, is the sound coming from in front of your or behind you?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I will concede that there is ONE time when rear speakers are nice to have. And that one time is when you have a DVD screen in the front of the vehicle and you're listening in Dolby 5.1 surround sound and there is content INTENDED for the rear speakers.

But that's the only situation I can think of.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I use my rear speakers but I think most will agree with me that they should have added a tweeter for the highs somewhere back there.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I have an F-150 Super Crew and having the rear speakers makes a huge difference. I can use the fade to switch from front to back, and when I switch ALL the sound to one side or the other it sounds like poo. Having more speakers really allows the sound to fill out the interior much better.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Army:
I'm not going to go with rear speakers; however, I am going to add a Bazooka BTA6100 Bass Tube for some added bass.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you need them for several reasons already presented; however, you could always run the front set in typical fashion) using the RCA cables out to an amp then on to the speakers, and wire up the rear speakers to the speaker out wires on the Pioneer. Fade the sound from all front to a mix and decide yourself.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
In the end, it's your choice, but I've run it both ways. With a set of Focal components up front and a 10" Arc Audio sub in back. Sounds great from the front seats and imaging is good, given the door mounted tweeters anyway. But when in the back seat with this config there was very little high/high-mid content that found it's way to the back seat listener.

I added a set of coaxes to the rear doors and just fade them in and out as passengers come and go. Overall works much better.

Sometimes you need to make concessions for those other fools who ride with you. If you want to design it just for yourself though,,, it is your trucky.

BTW way, my front components are amped and the rear speakers are coming off of the HU's power. Still can be balanced pretty well.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
BTW way, my front components are amped and the rear speakers are coming off of the HU's power. Still can be balanced pretty well.
I'm going to go your route. All I need extra is a pair of aftermarket speakers for the rear doors.

How do you wire the speakers if the front are going to be amped and the back are just powered by the HU? Do I just not connect the front speaker wires on the new wiring harness?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnchief View Post
...How do you wire the speakers if the front are going to be amped and the back are just powered by the HU? Do I just not connect the front speaker wires on the new wiring harness?
How are you planning to provide input to the amp, and then wires to the door speakers?

If you plan on using RCA cables to the amp, then running your own speaker wire to the door speakers you can hook up the front speakers to the head unit as it doesn't hurt anything to have them not connected in the door. Then if you ever take out the replacement speakers the wiring is still hooked up and ready to go back to stock.

If you plan to use the existing wiring to get to the speakers, then yes, do not connect the front (will also require the crossovers to be in the doors).
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
Rookie
txtrd is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
txtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I say either use the factory ones or replace them, but don't go speakerless. Yesterday I put in Infinity 6.5" 2-way with positionable (is that a word?) tweeters and I really like the sound. I have considered doing some cutting and fabricating to mount tweeters and having the back match the front with Infinity components.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
infinitys all four doors,

if i turn the back ones off, i can tell a bug difference, and it bugs me, so they will stay
Old 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #17
Sounds Gooooood

For you guys who say you notice a difference without rear speakers. What exactly are you noticing? What is it that having rear speakers makes better? I'm genuinely curious.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
Okie!
Joehs is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
Joehs's Tacoma Gallery
No rear speakers for me. Wouldn't go back if I had the chance.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post
If you plan on using RCA cables to the amp, then running your own speaker wire to the door speakers you can hook up the front speakers to the head unit as it doesn't hurt anything to have them not connected in the door. Then if you ever take out the replacement speakers the wiring is still hooked up and ready to go back to stock.
Thanks, that's how I'm going to wire it.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i dont understand why you wouldnt want rear speakers???