1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

89' Toyota Pickup radio wiring

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by UndefinedTaco, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco [OP] I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Ok, so I recently bought an 89' Pickup..didn't come with a headunit in it and factory harness was cut...so just got wires. I looked up a diagram because I knew it was different then my 99. I found 2 different ones, slight variations.

I tried both ones but can't get headunit to turn on..I know it works though.
    Thinking a short inline somewhere? It doesn't blow RADIO/DOME or GAUGES fuses though..or CIG lighter..so I'm kinda stumped.

light blue with yellow stripe = constant power correct?
    gray = switched power?(ignition ON, line is hot)?
    Black = ground?
    Those wires should let headunit turn on at least..but it doesn't.
    Like I said I know the HEADUNIT ISN'T FRIED.

I'd run it with my meter and find what's what but I left it in my gang box at work...and I wanna get it in this weekend :(

2. Sep 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    elblako91

elblako91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    If your 89 is anything like my 92 then your yellow is memory red is constant 12 and black is ground. I know their are some similarities in the two years but this might be one of them. You could always get a volt meter and ground the neg of the volt meter on something metal inside the cab and test each wire to see which one is hot and when. That would be your best bet.

3. Sep 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    I only see a red with black stripe..tried it..didn't work. I believe thats power for right rear speaker.
    I saw a faded red(looks more orange)..tried that..didn't work.
    I read on some diagrams for 89 that grey is constant power...to what seems like looks grey I tried but no go...:(

Again no meter on hand..it's in my gang box at work.

4. Sep 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I believe everything is the same on Toyotas. This is correct even for my JBL system. If you don't get anywhere with this, remember you have to have ignition wired in as well, this tells the stereo to turn on. You can short the 12V constant to the ignition wire on the stereo (as long as the ignition wire is not spliced in yet) to see if it will work before you splice things. Also, check all fuses with a meter, visual inspection does not work.

BTW grey is ignition. :p Blue/yellow is power. You will need both to make it work.

[​IMG]

5. Sep 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    UndefinedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    I read that diagram, and did both constant and ignition power..nothing.

I ended up heading down to the local shop friends and I used. They had the truck for about 3 hours, traced everything down and there was an internal short in 2 wires(lost continuity), charged me $79 to re-wire those two, then wire up headunit...got it working.

Eh, not bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top