Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Finally bought all supplies, now time for the install!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
jimreghi is a jewel in the roughjimreghi is a jewel in the roughjimreghi is a jewel in the roughjimreghi is a jewel in the rough

Army: MI NCO
Name: Jim
jimreghi's Tacoma Gallery
Finally bought all supplies, now time for the install!

Okay......here is what I procured for my truck...

Purchased off Amazon:
(all tax and shipping included)
XD600/6 - JL Audio 600W 6-Channel Class D Amplifier - 354.14

50 Sq Ft Rattle Trap FatMat 80 mil Bulk Pack Install Kit Included - 90.98

Sony XNV-660BT 6.1-Inch WVGA In-Dash A/V Receiver with Bluetooth, USB, Satellite/HD radio ready, and Integrated Navigation from TomTom - $569.99

Tacotunes items:
1 | BUNDLE1 | Speaker & Tweeter Mounts with ID CTX65CS | $199.00 | $209.00
Wire Harness Adapter: Two Harnesses - +$10.00
Driver & Passenger
Mount Selection: Outdoor Grade MDF

1 | TACO_DASH2_T | Toyota Tacoma Textured Double DIN | $27.99 | $116.97
Dash Kit Color: Standard Silver
Wire Harness: Standard Toyota Harness & 20 +$8.99
Crimp Caps
Steering Wheel Interface Kit: Toyota +$67.99
Specific Steering Wheel Interface
Tool Kit: 40 Pc Socket / Screwdirver & +$12.00
Crimper - Tool Kit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $325.97
Tax $28.47
Shipping (Standard) & Handling $24.45
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Balance Due $378.89

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty | Item # | Description | Price Each | Total Price
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | BUNDLE2 | Speaker Mounts with ID CTX65 | $169.00 | $179.00
Wire Harness Adapter: Two Harnesses - +$10.00
Driver & Passenger
Mount Selection: Outdoor Grade MDF

1 | TACO_SUB12_1L | Subwoofer Enclosure 10" Loaded - DCT | $200.00 | $184.00
Subtotal $379.00
Tax $31.48
Shipping (Standard) & Handling $24.45
Balance Due $416.93

Grand total is $1810.93

Is this a decent price? I've never purchased car audio prior, so it was all new to me. I plan to do the install myself with a friend who knows car audio. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance to install.

Opinions on anything would be great. Some folks have told me to have it professionally installed due to how much I have invested, but it all seems pretty straight forward..

Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Prices seem OK. I wouldn't order the back seat speakers, but that's just me. How do you plan to hook up the amp - use 4 channels for the various doors speakers then bridge the last two for the subwoofer?

I have the same amp and like it a lot for the price.

As to difficulty and paying someone, I don't think it's hard, read the sticky in the forum about installs. If you want a good install, plan at least a whole day of being down.

BTW, didn't see wiring kit to run from battery to amp, RCA cables from head-unit to amp, etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
jimreghi is a jewel in the roughjimreghi is a jewel in the roughjimreghi is a jewel in the roughjimreghi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post
Prices seem OK. I wouldn't order the back seat speakers, but that's just me. How do you plan to hook up the amp - use 4 channels for the various doors speakers then bridge the last two for the subwoofer?

I have the same amp and like it a lot for the price.

As to difficulty and paying someone, I don't think it's hard, read the sticky in the forum about installs. If you want a good install, plan at least a whole day of being down.

BTW, didn't see wiring kit to run from battery to amp, RCA cables from head-unit to amp, etc.

Yea, I forgot. I picked up all the wiring today local for about 110.

I hope the amp is as good as advertised. I saw a ton of good comments for it, and my friend who lives car audio was very high on it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
TACSNOW is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
TACSNOW's Tacoma Gallery
Buddy sells car audio and swears by JL. I will be picking up the hd 700/5 in not too long. Post pics and have fun.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACSNOW View Post
Buddy sells car audio and swears by JL. I will be picking up the hd 700/5 in not too long. Post pics and have fun.

I almost regret getting the 600 since I plan to power the speakers and sub with it. Is it really going to make a big difference only getting just under 200 to my sub?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreghi View Post
I almost regret getting the 600 since I plan to power the speakers and sub with it. Is it really going to make a big difference only getting just under 200 to my sub?
I wish I got that amp. But I got the Alpine 5 channel and im happy with it. it makes my 10 hit hard enough for me when I need it.. So you have more watts then me so you should be set!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp192 View Post
I wish I got that amp. But I got the Alpine 5 channel and im happy with it. it makes my 10 hit hard enough for me when I need it.. So you have more watts then me so you should be set!

Awesome. I had heard contrary, but I'm not a big make your ears bleed kind of guy. I thought a 10 with roughly 200 sounded good. Much of my research was done here, so I guess I have to thank all who have contributed over the years....
Old 09-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
200 watts might be enough depending on the sub and your personal taste.

Really low bass takes a lot of power to produce- but I was surprised to find out that many songs don't have a super low bass component anyway.

I am running 600W to a 10" JL audio sub and thought it was not working correctly for a while. It was thumping, but not producing super low bass. Then I was really surprised to find out that the songs I had thought were full of bass did not go very low at all. Now I adjusted the crossover point lower (80hz) on the sub and just accept that some songs don't really thump. The songs that do have low bass really give the sub a workout now, though!

In general, the more air you want to move, the more watts you will require.

Consider a ported box- they generally produce more sound/watt than sealed boxes.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
ported boxes also need to be bigger, in an already space limited truck
Old 09-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
pics man
Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
200 watts from JL is a lot more than 200 watts from a cheaper amp. You'll be just fine. I have a JL 250/1 powering my shallow mount 10 and its hard to imagine that sub pounding much harder, its rated for 400...lol

That amp, IIRC was built for that application.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone realize even if you wire up said sub to said amp for "200 watts" your still not seeing all that power all the time....

various effects on impedance along with the fact that music is dynamic, meaning everything is constantly fluctuating.....

theres alot more than just power output that makes a good amp....
Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

box rise and power surges
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
The things I could do with 1800 bucks...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Hot Steppa

progress pics mon
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
that price makes me sick, 400- on install supplies? dash kit, steering wheel controls and speaker mounts should cost no more than 200- at the very high end. I hope you didn't buy yet

Nope.....got everything installed.

I'm real happy with the system. I know there are Tacotunes haters out there, but I had a great experience with them. Rob sat on the phone for an hour walking me through different things. Not only that, but their "how to" videos were a life saver for a person who has never done car audio...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #18

Okay, here is my final take on the install.

Some of you may be up in arms about price, but the convenience factor plays a role as well. I'm in the military, so my schedule is pretty full. Top this with the fact that I'm also doing home improvement while trying to sell my home, football season, and trying to keep the wife happy.......so I'm pretty busy. I got what I thought were decent prices.

-Tacotunes

I'm not sure why so many on here are so quick to hate. It's an all in one audio stop for Tacoma owners. I'm sure you could find better deals on the web. Then you have to deal with separate shipping, uncertain products, and varied tech support. My orders from Tacotunes where shipped within days of purchase, arrived early, and backed by (in my experience) great customer support. If you guys want to flame on Tacotunes feel free. I don't work for them, nor do I get money for saying good things. I'm sure some of you guys have a vested interest with other companies, and I'm sure a few of you are not pleased with Tacotunes. My experience was great.

-Ease of Install

Well......it was hit and miss for this car audio newbie. Some was easier than expected, some made me want to rip my hair out. Here are some pics from install.........

Shot at 2011-09-15
Bracket came off easy and other brackets bent down easy.

Shot at 2011-09-15

Shot at 2011-09-15
Fit like a glove.

Shot at 2011-09-15
Fatmat was half the price of Dynomat and went on easy.

Shot at 2011-09-15
My wife decided to head out and help me wire my head unit. Shes a 1st grade teacher with no electronic experience. This is how easy Tacotunes and Sony made the install!

Shot at 2011-09-15
My wife helping me out!

Shot at 2011-09-15
AV look without nav.

Shot at 2011-09-15
Day view of nav with Ipod on screen.

Shot at 2011-09-15
Night view of Nav.

Shot at 2011-09-15
I put the stick on symbol from my amp to hide one of my mistakes. I know it might make it more visible for theft, but I'm not in a high crime area. I just can't stand to look at something I messed up!

Obviously there are some pics missing. They are on my wifes phone. I'll try to get them up later. Feel free to ask questions on specific items. I really like the Sony head unit.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #19

http://www.tacotunes.com/tacoma_double.htm

That and YouTube were my guides along the way.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
that price makes me sick, 400- on install supplies? dash kit, steering wheel controls and speaker mounts should cost no more than 200- at the very high end. I hope you didn't buy yet

If you look again you would see that I also got the ID 6.5 front component speakers included in that price.

Dash kit, wiring harness, and steering controls were $104
Mounts were $87

Total price was $191

http://shop.tacotunes.com/2005-2011-...roducts_c9.htm

What was the price and product you trying to sell again?