Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Question about steering wheel controls and Metra ASWC

Old 09-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
Question about steering wheel controls and Metra ASWC

I currently DO NOT have the blulogic control buttons on my steering wheel. However, my question is, if I were to acquire them through some means, would they work through the Metra ASWC steering wheel control module? if so, is it self learning still? or is there some sort of wiring trickery or programming involved? Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry dumb question... are you talking about the factory bluetooth steering wheel phone controls that came with the JBL system starting in 2009?

I always thought the blulogic controls mounted in one of the blanks in the dash by the fog light switch.

But what i think you are trying to do is use the factory phone switches with a aftermarket unit. I dont know much about the metra control unit. but if you have a left side steering wheel controls it should work. the right side just plugs into the left like the picture shows. my 2005 only had the left side but the plug was there for the right side. If you plan on ordering it from toyota you might try ordering the 4runner one if you already have the left side. you cant order the left and right side controls separately for the tacoma like you can for the 4runner for some odd reason.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
If you're installing an aftermarket deck, you can use one of 2 products from Metra:

http://www.metraonline.com/part/RFASWC
Puts buttons on the wheel

http://www.metraonline.com/part/ASWCSTALK
And the one I like, adds a stalk to the column.

You're not considering adding a $300 module just for bluetooth are you? I would definitely go aftermarket, and if I didn't have the buttons, find a unit with a wireless remote to throw in the factory remote holder in front of the armrest.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen it done, but page 9 of the Metra Axxess ASWC install manual lists commands for "On Hook", "Off Hook", and "Push to Talk", so it seems like they expect it to. If you go that route I would pick up their wiring harness made for the Tacoma to ASWC box, no crimping or soldering -- worked perfect first time out of the box for me.

Also, I think only the Pioneer Z series (currently Z130BT) supports the audio bluetooth function like "Call home" (I know my X930BT does not, I think the older X920 did). Other brands may as well, but it seems the guys investigating the BT steering wheel controls had trouble with Kenwood, etc (that was with the PAC box solution tho.).

All in all, not a very good answer. You might try calling metra support (no idea if they are any good), or you might have to be the first to test.

EDIT: I remember reading (sorry can't remember where, might be here) of a person who did the BT steering wheel mod, and it did work. But IIRC, he had to manually reprogram the ASWC (had previously been in use with just audio controls). Not sure if the unit won't do it automatically or if his unit didn't have the reset button they use now. Anyway, if really interested a good search might find the posting (if I find it I will put up a link).
Old 09-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
I installed an ASWC for my audio controls and it works great! I don't have the bluetooth controls though, so I can't answer your specific question.

The installation instructions are a little confusing. As mentioned in the previous post, the manual lists phone controls. I did contact Metra via e-mail and found they were helpful and answered promptly.