1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about steering wheel controls and Metra ASWC

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pcledrew, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Sep 10, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    pcledrew

pcledrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    I currently DO NOT have the blulogic control buttons on my steering wheel. However, my question is, if I were to acquire them through some means, would they work through the Metra ASWC steering wheel control module? if so, is it self learning still? or is there some sort of wiring trickery or programming involved? Thanks

2. Sep 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Sorry dumb question... are you talking about the factory bluetooth steering wheel phone controls that came with the JBL system starting in 2009?

[​IMG]

I always thought the blulogic controls mounted in one of the blanks in the dash by the fog light switch.

But what i think you are trying to do is use the factory phone switches with a aftermarket unit. I dont know much about the metra control unit. but if you have a left side steering wheel controls it should work. the right side just plugs into the left like the picture shows. my 2005 only had the left side but the plug was there for the right side. If you plan on ordering it from toyota you might try ordering the 4runner one if you already have the left side. you cant order the left and right side controls separately for the tacoma like you can for the 4runner for some odd reason.

3. Sep 11, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    If you're installing an aftermarket deck, you can use one of 2 products from Metra:

http://www.metraonline.com/part/RFASWC
    Puts buttons on the wheel

http://www.metraonline.com/part/ASWCSTALK
    And the one I like, adds a stalk to the column.

You're not considering adding a $300 module just for bluetooth are you? I would definitely go aftermarket, and if I didn't have the buttons, find a unit with a wireless remote to throw in the factory remote holder in front of the armrest.

4. Sep 11, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    I haven't seen it done, but page 9 of the Metra Axxess ASWC install manual lists commands for "On Hook", "Off Hook", and "Push to Talk", so it seems like they expect it to. If you go that route I would pick up their wiring harness made for the Tacoma to ASWC box, no crimping or soldering -- worked perfect first time out of the box for me.

Also, I think only the Pioneer Z series (currently Z130BT) supports the audio bluetooth function like "Call home" (I know my X930BT does not, I think the older X920 did). Other brands may as well, but it seems the guys investigating the BT steering wheel controls had trouble with Kenwood, etc (that was with the PAC box solution tho.).

All in all, not a very good answer. You might try calling metra support (no idea if they are any good), or you might have to be the first to test.

EDIT: I remember reading (sorry can't remember where, might be here) of a person who did the BT steering wheel mod, and it did work. But IIRC, he had to manually reprogram the ASWC (had previously been in use with just audio controls). Not sure if the unit won't do it automatically or if his unit didn't have the reset button they use now. Anyway, if really interested a good search might find the posting (if I find it I will put up a link).

5. Sep 12, 2011 at 3:33 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I installed an ASWC for my audio controls and it works great! I don't have the bluetooth controls though, so I can't answer your specific question.

The installation instructions are a little confusing. As mentioned in the previous post, the manual lists phone controls. I did contact Metra via e-mail and found they were helpful and answered promptly.

Products Discussed in

To Top