1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

USB, Aux Input & 12V Outlet In Console - Write-Up

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Scooter, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Sep 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    Scooter

Scooter [OP] Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I installed a Grom Audio Adapter a few months back, but got tired of the bundle of cables in the glove box. So I thought I'd install a USB, 8 pin mini DIN, and 12V receptacle in the console. There is already write-ups on how to install the Grom Adapter on this sight as well as on the Grom Audio site, so I won't cover that here. The hardest part of this install is making the 8 pin mini DIN adapter to mount in the console.

I bought a bag of 10 pack of 8-pin mini DIN PCB mount connectors on ebay for $5. It's a good thing it came in a pack of 10, because I ruined a few of them trying to solder the tiny pins.

DIN.jpg

I connected two of these together using a 6" long shielded 8 conductor cable.

The picture below shows one end soldered to the cable. The clear tubing is heat shrink tubing, before heat shrinking. I insulated each inividual pin with heat shring tubing. I also connected the shield to avoid any noise problems.
    IMG00135-20110728-2232[1].jpg

This next picture shows the heat shrink tubing being applied to the soldered joints.
    IMG00136-20110728-2239[1].jpg

The next picture shows one end completed, and completely wrapped in heat shrink tubing. This end is the end with the flange.
    IMG00141-20110804-1826[1].jpg

I ground the flange off the other end. I will explain later.
    IMG00142-20110804-1826[1].jpg

Here is the completed cable.
    IMG00140-20110804-1825[1].jpg

The most difficult part of the install is done.

Next, I removed the console. I first took the carpeted mat out of the console, and removed the two bolts from the bottom. (The bolts are circled in red.)
    Consol Bolts.jpg

I then removed the shift knob by simply unscrewing it. I then removed the shift lever cover. (That's the one with the centre cup holder.) Just grab a hold of it and pull up. That exposes the two screws that hold down the front of the console. Remove the two screws (circled in red) and the console should pop out.

Console Screws.jpg

I then drilled three holes in the console, one for the 12V outlet, one for the USB connector, and one for the 8 pin mini DIN connector. Here is the view from inside the console.
    IMG00151-20110903-1448[1].jpg

Here is the view from outside the console. Note the key notches I put in with a file to keep connectors from spinning. The largest hole to the left of the picture has a notch at the top. It's for the 12V outlet. The hole in the middle has a notch on the side. It's for the USB. The small hole has no notch. it is drilled slightly smaller than the mini DIN connector, and the connector doesn't spin in the hole. Note that I removed the fuzzy material off the outside of the console before drilling.

IMG00152-20110903-1448[1].jpg

Here is an outside view of the connectors installed. The DIN connector had the flange ground off so it will fit through the hole. The USB connector was purchased from Grom for $20. The 12V outlet was from ebay for $6.
    IMG00154-20110903-1500[1].jpg

Here's the finished product.
    IMG00153-20110903-1459[1].jpg

I connected the 12V outlet to the lighter circuit, plugged the USB cable into the Grom USB port, and used a 6' 8 pin mini DIN extension cord to plug in the DIN connector to the Grom adapter. Now, I don't have any cables in my glove box.

I also put a bluetooth dongle and hid it under the console. I ran the mic next overhead panel where the compas and outside temperature guage is.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Clean! Do you have a link to get the USB charger? thanks

3. Sep 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Looks very clean. What is the 8-pin for?

4. Sep 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
  5. Sep 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:

There is an 8 pin connector on the Grom Audio adapter. It is used to connect a variety of adapter cables including an iPod cable, a 3.5mm phone jack cable, etc. Since the Grom adapter is tucked behind the dash, it was impossible to change cables. Now, I can plug in whichever adapter cable I need.

6. Sep 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
  7. Sep 15, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Glad I can help.

8. Sep 16, 2011 at 12:14 AM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Got it

9. May 30, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    PathFinder21

PathFinder21 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Northern Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma SR5
    Just bought it with no mods
    I've been having trouble playing music out of my aux port. Even with a device to hold the iPod sound only comes out of one speaker at a time. If I did a setup with the USB and Grom audio adapter can I play music out of that?

10. May 30, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Couple things I would check right off the bat is the aux cord you are using between the port and the ipod. I would also check to see if the ipod plays in stereo with regular headphones. If it does not I would restore and re-synch the ipod. Lastly maybe one of the connections on the aux port is loose.

11. May 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ^^^ I agree. It's usually something simple like a bad cord. The Grom adapter is made for those of us who do not have an AUX port in our stereo.

12. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    PathFinder21

PathFinder21 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Northern Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma SR5
    Just bought it with no mods
    It's not the iPod I tried it with headphones and two different iPods. Then I tried two aux cords and one is definetlely worse than the other but neither produces good quality sound or consistently plays out of both speakers.

13. Jun 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    tacomonazul

tacomonazul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB LT/4LINK
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/227832-my-never-end-build.html
    how did you wire the 12v outlet?

14. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    There must be something wrong with the connection to your Aux port. The Grom Audio Adpter is made for those of us with older Tacomas that did not come with an Aux port on the stereo.

15. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I simply spliced it to the existing 12V outlet under the climate control knobs. You can always wire it back to the fuse box to an unswitched circuit and have it on all the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top