Proper fuse for audio system

Old 09-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
avidoffroad.com
OMAC4 has a spectacular aura aboutOMAC4 has a spectacular aura about
Marines:
Name: Obed
OMAC4's Tacoma Gallery
Proper fuse for audio system

Hey tw. I need some help determining what size fuse to use with my setup. I have a Kenwood KAC-8150D rated at 1000w max and 500w rms. I will be using 4awg power and ground wire and most likely and agu fuse and holder. Now, I have been trying to find stuff online to answer my own question, but have been running into walls with everything I try. Maybe one of you can help . Thanks!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Many are confused, as a maximum you fuse to protect the wire not the amp. The fuse should be within about 18" of the battery and before the wire goes through any metal (like a grommet from engine compartment to passenger compartment). In this use the fuse's job is to prevent an electrical fire. A 4 AWG wire should never carry more than 125 Amps of current. You can of course fuse smaller, down to the size of expected maximum amplifier draw (I am running 4AWG and my fuse is at 80 amps).

A good read can be found at Basic Car Audio Electronics (BCAE), look in their fuse section for specific advice about wire sizing and fuse ratings.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
avidoffroad.com
Marines:
OMAC4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post
Many are confused, as a maximum you fuse to protect the wire not the amp. The fuse should be within about 18" of the battery and before the wire goes through any metal (like a grommet from engine compartment to passenger compartment). In this use the fuse's job is to prevent an electrical fire. A 4 AWG wire should never carry more than 125 Amps of current. You can of course fuse smaller, down to the size of expected maximum amplifier draw (I am running 4AWG and my fuse is at 80 amps).

A good read can be found at Basic Car Audio Electronics (BCAE), look in their fuse section for specific advice about wire sizing and fuse ratings.
Hey thanks man. reading it now.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post

+1 on max fusing for the power cable, but most of us should be fusing for the max amp draw that we expect to see since most power wires are oversized for the actual draw used. In your case, if you think your going to get 1000W, then the max amp draw should be between 1000W/12V=83A and 1000W/14.4V=70A, personally I would use the lower amp value as the fuse.

FYI, I am running 0 guage wire to a 400W amp with a 30A fuse. Yes, I know the power wire is way oversized, but I only wanted to pull power wire once.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
avidoffroad.com
Marines:
OMAC4's Tacoma Gallery
VERY HELPFUL! Thanks!