Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

double din theft prevention

Old 09-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
double din theft prevention

Anyone here have any ideas or suggestions to prevent the theft of an aftermarket double dine?

Has anyone tried making their own "stealth cover" I.e. recessing ur double din and cutting up a factory faceplate to sit in the double din opening and it giving the look of a factory stereo....I have an extra faceplate n may give it a try. I know tinting windows would be a choice Also as I have 20% all the way around w a 20% windshield strip.

Any suggestions are appreciated or am I being to cautious about upgrading..
Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I posted pics of the Ranger guys doing it. I plan on doing something similar too. Let me find the thread.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Razor blade mod. lol

The only thing I can think of is to get some weird shaped bolts to bolt it down. But they are still going to tear everything up trying to get it out, and when they don't they will tear everything else up.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Are you talking about the stock stereo or aftermarket. For an aftermarket unit I was thinking about doing this with a stock Ranger unit:

Can't see the pics at work.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I posted pics of the Ranger guys doing it. I plan on doing something similar too. Let me find the thread.

I've heard of other car owners doing it but thought I might give it a try with the truck. My gf just bought me an avh4300 n I wouldn't want it to get stolen not only would I feel bad she would prbly be pretty pissed off as well.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #6

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Whippersnapper02

Have u started on this project? I am currently pulling my old faceplate apart to figure out what to cut out. If u have started any ideas would be great.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Banned
No this is just a future mod. I'm thinking I should be able to do the same with a 1st gen Tundra headunit because they are double din and they say Toyota.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #8

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
A good alarm with pager. Viper 5109 for starters. The antenna is mounted just below the rear view mirror with blue lights which may help deter would be thieves and They might justproceed to the next car instead if breaking in yours.
Yeah alarm would be good but more on the expensive side of being cautious. Haha I could get a decal that says, "Brinks Home Security." Haha that'd be a theft deterrent!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
I have my old daceplate all apart with buttons removed but I think I should wait to get an actual dimension on how much to cut off to fit in the opening of the double din dash kit
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.dummyface.com/
Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I have 30% tint, not very dark but legal, an alarm that will go off when thunder hits, and a removable face plate on my radio. When I get out I pop off the face plate and put the cord and face under my drivers seat and take my Ipod with me. I don't have anything of huge value in my truck other than my radio stuff which takes some time to get out. Between the removed face plate which is black underneath and my tint you can't tell that there is anything there.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTtoolman View Post
Looks way too fake.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #13

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Looks way too fake.

Yeah too fake it'd be better to put an actual stock headunit of some sort rather then that....good suggestion tho.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Banned
$40 on ebay. Pull the face off and attach it over the aftermarket headunit. I'm going to try to get the dash kit and or stereo that sits in the dash a bit further than normal so I can just put this over it. You might even get lucky finding a broken unit for cheaper or free.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #15

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I was checking em out. Cause u said they were the same size as an aftermarket double din. Ill have to look more.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjm10 View Post
Yeah I was checking em out. Cause u said they were the same size as an aftermarket double din. Ill have to look more.
I'm about 80% sure they are.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalboy View Post
keep the stock radio .. install the audio control lc6i and nice amp .. and you are all set.. never have to worry about it .. no one will know you have a bad ass sound system using the stock radio ..
Then you don't have Navi and you get to deal with the stock junk failing after a couple of years. Oh and if you have the JBL it is a pain in the ass to add any kind of sound processor with the stock amp in place.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Mtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Mtek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then you don't have Navi and you get to deal with the stock junk failing after a couple of years. Oh and if you have the JBL it is a pain in the ass to add any kind of sound processor with the stock amp in place.
Not all of us need Navi or are comfortable using our phones. If he is using an Audio Contol l6i, I doubt he is using the factory jbl amp and it is quite easy to use a sound processor at that point.

EDIT: Coastalboy beat me to it.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #19

enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm about 80% sure they are.
Think it would be hard to hack up an old original tacoma faceplate and drop it in the opening of the new dash kit so it'll look bone stock?? And not with a different stereo head?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalboy View Post
nav can be from a portable unit which i have and can take from my car to wifes car.. plus no thief looks at it at all .. with factory radio .. and dont ever order with jbl ..
I'd rather have it in the dash so it isn't something else to worry about putting away. Also you don't have to find a spot to mount it when you need it.

The JBL system sounds awesome. That's why I'm not in a hurry to rip it out for aftermarket but I want to in the future because as always I want more. Also I had no choice when I bought my truck. The JBL was part of the TRD packages.