Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Amp Setup Question?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
flyby08 is on a distinguished road

flyby08's Tacoma Gallery
Amp Setup Question?

Hello everyone in TW land i was having a thought that I wanted to see if anyone could help me out with their part experiences.

Currently in my taco I am running pioneer AVH -3200BT head unit with 4 Alpine type S speakers (6x9 in the front and 6-1/2" in the rear); and the speakers are running off of the head unit. I also have and 10" MTX sub running off a ch2 MTX amp that I have bridged at 280 RMS (this is a sub i had from a older subaru that i had)

Now i have been thinking about amplifying the 4 four doors speakers as well; what my questions is would it be better to get a new 4ch amp for the speakers and have to 2 amps? or to replace the 2ch amp with a 5ch amp and run the whole system off one amp? I not sure the pros or cons from either setup any insight you guys would be able to provide would be much appreciated.

thanks

ps. please let me know if you need more info on the system that would help you answer the question.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
It will probably be cheaper to get another amp. The sound quality should be the same either way. Getting a 5-channel amp should result in a cleaner/simpler installation.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
^^ agree'd

i guess it depends if you want to spend more cash or not.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
loganlangley is on a distinguished road
Name: logan
loganlangley's Tacoma Gallery
i have two amps in mine with a clean setup. mine sounds awesome.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Careful to not buy a 4 channel amp that overpowers your 280 watts worth of sub. Of course, I'm not sure how well those Alpine door speakers hold up when you start pushing them with a little bit of sack either. Just be careful to get something that integrates well with what you already have.

I personally went with a 5 channel amp, but that's ultimately less flexible in the event you wish to upgrade to biamping components or something later on.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
something like 75x4@ 4 ohm would work fine

what i would do, personally, is buy something like 150x2 ditch the rear speakers and buy some nice components for up front
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Linelock4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jared
Linelock4's Tacoma Gallery
You can add an Alipine 4-channel V-power MRP-F300 to you SS series speakers and land the amp under your drivers front seat. I say this because I have done it for a customer I had. Just keep in mind there is a bracket under the seat that has a plug cliped to it. You are going to have to bend the bracket up out of the way. The reason is to allow the seat to move back and forth without getting hung up on the amp. I have used this exact amp with those exact speakers and as long as the cross overs are set right your good. Also you can just level make the gain on the amp to blend perfect with the sub.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
flyby08 is on a distinguished road

flyby08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linelock4 View Post
You can add an Alipine 4-channel V-power MRP-F300 to you SS series speakers and land the amp under your drivers front seat. I say this because I have done it for a customer I had. Just keep in mind there is a bracket under the seat that has a plug cliped to it. You are going to have to bend the bracket up out of the way. The reason is to allow the seat to move back and forth without getting hung up on the amp. I have used this exact amp with those exact speakers and as long as the cross overs are set right your good. Also you can just level make the gain on the amp to blend perfect with the sub.
that is the actual setup that I was thinking about. I was just thinking that the two amps would be messy, but is sounds like it can be done cleanly. I am currently running a 8guage power cable from the battery, if i switch to the two amps would I need to upgrade to a 4 gauge to a distribution block?

thanks for all the input everyone.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Banned
8 might be small for both amps, id just do another run to the battery with 8 or 4
Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
8 might be small for both amps, id just do another run to the battery with 8 or 4
Do this. If you run 2 amps, either will be fine.

If you go to a 5 channel, still want to upgrade to a 4ga.