Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Seeking opinions on Metra ASWC Universal

Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
azgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Former LEO
Name: George
azgunrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Seeking opinions on Metra ASWC Universal

Anyone have any experience with this unit? Looks like a newer/easier unit to use.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/ASWC

Only 3 wires to install.. checked out amazon and there are some pretty good reviews.

thoughts?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
I bought it and the tacoma harness they offer. Plugged it right in, and didn't touch a thing. It programmed itself and my buttons work perfectly
Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevAdam View Post
I bought it and the tacoma harness they offer. Plugged it right in, and didn't touch a thing. It programmed itself and my buttons work perfectly
Same purchases and experience for me - hooked up to a Pioneer X930BT.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, just installed mine like two weeks ago with my new stereo. Had SGT Taco (Scott) help me with the install. After he saw how easy it was, hes getting one. three wires, iit programs itself, and your done. definitely recommend one.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
azgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedazgunrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Former LEO
Name: George
azgunrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! That's what I was hoping to hear, I'm definitely going to order one for my 4300. Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Right on man. We have the same set up too. Avh p4300. so it will definitely work.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
idgara007 is on a distinguished road
Navy: aviator
idgara007's Tacoma Gallery
Curious if this harness also works for the bluetooth controls on the right side of the steering wheel? I want an aftermarket headunit but dont want to lose the wheel controls (audio or bluetooth). If so, the new receiver should have bluetooth built in correct? Unless I want to shell out $$$ for a bluetooth adapter for the receiver right... Thank you very much for your help!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
____livevil____

Unfortunately, you'll lose your BT controls. Youll be stuck with the Bluetooth on the headunit. which shouldnt be a real Issue honestly. You hit a button on your steering wheel, or a few inches away on the stereo. maybe theres a way to use the volume controls to answer and hang up. Best of luck.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
mk7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mk7's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a nice product, I'll have to remember to buy this when I decide to change my headunit.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
Unfortunately, you'll lose your BT controls. Youll be stuck with the Bluetooth on the headunit. which shouldnt be a real Issue honestly. You hit a button on your steering wheel, or a few inches away on the stereo. maybe theres a way to use the volume controls to answer and hang up. Best of luck.
What BT controls did you loose? Mine work find, but I did need to manually program the on/off hook button. Not a big deal...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
____livevil____

My current aftermarket deck doesn't have BT (I didn't use it enough in my 06) so I'm not sure to what extent.. but I don't have any control with he BT buttons.. maybe the Metra can do it.. i just didn't try. That along with everything else I read and heard.. it won't work. But if does.. right on! Maybe ill ill try it down the road if I ever get the BT add-on.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
My current aftermarket deck doesn't have BT (I didn't use it enough in my 06) so I'm not sure to what extent.. but I don't have any control with he BT buttons.. maybe the Metra can do it.. i just didn't try. That along with everything else I read and heard.. it won't work. But if does.. right on! Maybe ill ill try it down the road if I ever get the BT add-on.
If your HU doesn't have any BT functionality, you will not gain or loose them by installing the Metra. The Metra is simply a module that takes the wired inputs from your stearing wheel controls and passes the inputs along (through wires) to your HU. If you want BT, you'll want to look into some kind of BT add-on specific to your HU.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered this from Crutchfield this time last year. It worked perfectly, once I spliced the correct wires together.

Do not use the instruction book it comes with. Go on Metra's website & get the instructions for your vehicle.

Item# 120ASWC Metra ASWC Auto Sensing Steering Wheel Cntrl Intrfc $69.99

Hooked it up to a Pioneer DEH-6300UB CD Receiver.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
____livevil____

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
If your HU doesn't have any BT functionality, you will not gain or loose them by installing the Metra. The Metra is simply a module that takes the wired inputs from your stearing wheel controls and passes the inputs along (through wires) to your HU. If you want BT, you'll want to look into some kind of BT add-on specific to your HU.
I know.. i said i didnt have BT... I have the Metra and have it hooked up to use my steering wheel controls.. just not my BT.. because I dont have BT. lol
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
You can reprogram the BT buttons to do other things