Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Good accurate, clean bass?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Good accurate, clean bass?

Hello,

Looking for some 8" subs. I usually listen to rock/drum&bass/dub-step/hip-hop. I like the bass to be powerful, yet clean and precise. I actually hate when the whole car is just trembling nonstop and you can't listen to the music clearly.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Right now im looking at 2 Kickers (link)

They are 200 RMS, and will be powered by an Alpine 500 Mono Amp.

However, if you guys know of any other 8" sub that would better suit my needs, please suggest it. Im pretty much a noob at this kind of shit and I'm already taking on more than I should with ItalynStylion's idea... which is awesome BTW, but in any case, what must be done, must be done.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
I have 1 8" polk mm series sub with a 400 watt mono polk amp on it. Sounds awesome! The airspace for these is rediculously small too. I have a custom ported box and I have yet to find a genre of music where its not clean and crisp. Definately the best set up I've ever had. The box was built for 2, but there is no need for another.
Attached Thumbnails
Good accurate, clean bass?-img_0588.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrob1 View Post
I have 1 8" polk mm series sub with a 400 watt mono polk amp on it. Sounds awesome! The airspace for these is rediculously small too. I have a custom ported box and I have yet to find a genre of music where its not clean and crisp. Definately the best set up I've ever had. The box was built for 2, but there is no need for another.
Ill look into those. Ill try and see if I can find locally to test. Thank you very much.

All other suggestions will also be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
AA or FI
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
AA or FI
I may be wrong but I don't believe Fi makes an 8" sub.

I have the Elemental Designs E3.8 subs. They're doing quite well for me. Way better than I expected and I expect a lot.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
o yeahh my bad man. Well get a Sonic soundlab sub they wang the beats
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I may be wrong but I don't believe Fi makes an 8" sub.

I have the Elemental Designs E3.8 subs. They're doing quite well for me. Way better than I expected and I expect a lot.
I actually looked into these, as I've seen you recommending them in quite a few threads. I had problems trying to get them shipped to PR though.

In any case, how do ya'll think those Kickers will do?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a fan of Kicker.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
I'm not a fan of Kicker.
Care to elaborate?

BTW, I actually wanted some Type R subs, but I would have to get a bigger amp, which might be a pain in the ass.

This is the setup im referring to:

Alpine Type R X 2

Alpine 1000 RMS Amp

Would that be more accurate than the kickers? Im not looking for more powerful, as I'm not going to turn the volume to wake up the whole neighborhood, I just need it to sound clean and not distorted. I want solid booms, not a brooooummooummouummmm.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Jbl GTO 804
ED 3.8
Polk MM

In that order, would be my suggestions. GTO for the lower inductance motor, but I have heard Stevens ED setup, and it does quite well. The Type R would be on the list, but the power requirements are a bit higher, and buying a new amp may or may not be in the picture.

If you have problems getting the ED sub shipped, I would guess the AA (ascendant audio) subs would be in the same boat.

FI has never made an 8" speaker
Sundown has a few, and I liked the E8v1 quite a bit as well. No experience with the v2 or SA8, but they both like power.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
Jbl GTO 804
ED 3.8
Polk MM
Ok. Looked at those.

Liked the JBL.

I think listening to these over the internet is a bad idea. Im not liking any subs this way... Perhaps it's cause everyone put rap in very high volumes causing the bass to sound distorted?

So far, the JBL you posted has been the one where I have found a video with a clean sounding system. It's a pain that shops here won't have a JBL to test. I can go listen to some Polks in person though. I'll do that today.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold0psi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tommy
0psi's Tacoma Gallery
I have a gto 804 and love it.very tight bass and I lisen to the same type of music as you.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I had a JBL GTO 804 and I really liked until I blew it up lol. I gave it way too much power for way too long. I usually listen to heavy stuff with double bass and I thought it sounded pretty good. I'll probably buy another one at some point but I don't feeling like spending the money right now.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
Care to elaborate?

BTW, I actually wanted some Type R subs, but I would have to get a bigger amp, which might be a pain in the ass.
Just in general, if you compare their subs to other subs you'll find that you can get a better sub for less money. Check out the following link and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Kicker vs. JBL
Old 09-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
Team no taco
Cinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 9th BN 94th DIV Instructor
Name: Jose
Cinco's Tacoma Gallery
I must say i'm very impressed with the Alpine Type-R 8in.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post

I think listening to these over the internet is a bad idea. Im not liking any subs this way...
Never do this....ever again. I'm resisting the urge to make fun of you for this. It's a struggle and I'm just barely able to keep it under control. This will be the last time we ever speak of this matter.

Moving on.

Matt is right on with his suggestion. The JBL GTO's are very nice. I chose not to go with them because they required a larger box than I had available. My enclosure "space" was fixed so I was trying to find a sub that would work. I'd never recommend reversing those steps in the way that I did but if you've seen my setup you know why I did it.

I believe the GTO's do very very well ported if I recall correctly. I've modeled them.

The AA subs weren't available at my time of purchase but I'd certainly give them a look if I was choosing again. I've also seen some VERY good reviews on the TypeR posted on DIYMA. I've not heard the AA or the TypeR yet.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I have dual Polk Audio MM840's they are awesome. Here's my write up on them.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...doublecab.html
Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
Mtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shedMtek is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Mtek's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone's ears are different, but in my experience, good mid bass and solid installation is what gives me that clean and tight sound.

I prefer to use the largest sub I can and have it built in a properly designed and sized enclosure for pure bass. In the DC I have, it is a JL 13w5.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
shopping for subs through internet video's isnt all that bad, its a great way to see how much power people actually throw at them.

anything can sound accurate, its all in the install.