Notices

steering wheel controls

Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
rhewins13 is on a distinguished road
Army: SPC, 2 Brigade,82nd Abn Div, 1-73 CAV FST
Name: Richard
rhewins13's Tacoma Gallery
steering wheel controls

im about to order an aftermarket cd player, and i was wondering if the steering wheel controls would still work with it, or if i had to get an extra harness to wire that in.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
PAC Audio is what you need.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
PAC Audio is what you need.
Thread can be closed now.

Fink
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
would an audio store carry these?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Crutchfield has them if you can't find one locally.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
I second the Metra suggestion, along with the Tacoma harness. Plugs right in, and programs itself.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
thanks guys
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550kawirider View Post
X3 on the metra axxces. Plugs right in 4 wires to hook up and programs itself. Don't have to add any resistors
If you get the optional harness 70-8114, it's completely plug and play, and it gives your RCA outs for your factory aux jack. Yet another reason for the Metra.

Oh yea, the Metra is quicker and much more factory like than the PAC.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the middle of installing mine right now with my Kenwood BT901. Am I right in thinking I need to cut/splice wires on the steering wheel control harness from behind the dash? do I really need to cut factory wires to make this work?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcledrew View Post
I'm in the middle of installing mine right now with my Kenwood BT901. Am I right in thinking I need to cut/splice wires on the steering wheel control harness from behind the dash? do I really need to cut factory wires to make this work?
Installing your what? Metra or PAC? If it's the Metra, you won't need to do anything - it should just be plug-n-play. Pics?

Fink
Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
OK, so the wires that go to PIN 6,7 and 8. I'm still trying to find a concrete answer, where are pin 6,7 and 8, and do I need to cut anything to connect to them? "plug and play" sounds great, but it's the "plug" I'm lost on.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK, so the wires that go to PIN 6,7 and 8. I'm still trying to find a concrete answer, where are pin 6,7 and 8, and do I need to cut anything to connect to them? "plug and play" sounds great, but it's the "plug" I'm lost on.
I still have no clue what you are trying to install. Are you installing the Metra, PAC, etc...

Fink
Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Metra ASWC.
Did you download the info sheet from Metra for the Tacoma?

I'm also assuming you already have a copy of this?

Fink
Old 10-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
Yes I do, however I do not know what or where the 20 pin connector they show is, nor do I know how to connect the two wires to it, whether I need to cut/splice or if I can somehow terminate with a pin connector or what.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
This link should be helpful.

It was my understanding that it was simply a plug-n-play (meaning male connector to female connector) install.

Fink
Old 10-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
I have used both PAC and Metra ASWC in my truck. ASWC is way better.

You need to splice 4 wires to your vehicle harness and plug into a jack in the back of your head unit.

The instructions are confusing for either unit, so check out some of the threads.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ontroller.html
Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Hilux View Post
...The instructions are confusing for either unit, so check out some of the threads...
Not for the ASWC if you buy the Metra wiring adapter for the Tacoma. Except for power and ground wire connection, it's plug and play.