1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound processor without volume control

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by UglyKid2, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Nov 3, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    UglyKid2

UglyKid2 [OP] Meat Member

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 PreRunner SR5, 4 cyl Black Sand Pearl
    DeBadged everything, Painted Toyota emblem on front grill, 3" ToyTec lift w/ coil spacers and AAL, 17x9 Moto Metal 957 rims, 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler, removed front mud flaps to clear tires, Leer camper shell.
    If I understand this right, JL Audio CleanSweep(and some other similar brands) override the factory head unit volume control and steering wheel controls and replaces it with a cheap looking volume control knob that looks like it came off a 1950's toaster oven. Is there a decent sound processor out there that allows you full use of your factory controls? Thanks in advance! :D

2. Nov 4, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Part of the factory headunit processing is "volume dependent" so any processor that overrides it will need an external volume control (you can read more about it in the FAQ's at the top of the page).
    If you have tuning experience with an equalizer and an RTA you could use the MTX REQ processor on the sub with an EQ on the front end to accomplish the same thing however that would require lot's of devices in the signal chain (you would still need a line out converter). An electrical engineer friend of mine is working on a servomechanism device that will be controlled by the steering wheel volume button for these applications where people want to keep the factory headunit yet want the benefits of the aftermarket interfaces processing without seeing/using the external volume knob. The drag is it looks like it's gonna be a bit complicated to install as well as expensive.

3. Nov 4, 2008 at 9:50 AM
    UglyKid2

UglyKid2 [OP] Meat Member

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 PreRunner SR5, 4 cyl Black Sand Pearl
    DeBadged everything, Painted Toyota emblem on front grill, 3" ToyTec lift w/ coil spacers and AAL, 17x9 Moto Metal 957 rims, 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler, removed front mud flaps to clear tires, Leer camper shell.
    Thanks for clearing that up, Mr Marv. I wish your friend the best of luck, it would really be something if he could do that!:D

4. Nov 17, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Active Member

Member:
    I was reading the cleansweep faq at the jl site and it said this....

Q: Is it necessary to install the CleanSweep® CL441dsp’s
    master volume control knob?

If you are using the CL441dsp’s auxiliary input, you will need to install the master volume control in order to control the volume of the auxiliary source unit. If you are not using the auxiliary input, it is possible to operate the system with the OEM volume control and without installing the CleanSweep’s master volume control knob. Please see the CL441dsp’s owner’s manual for full details.

So if I use the cd player instead of the aux source the volume knob will work?

5. Nov 17, 2008 at 6:43 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I'm sure Mr Marv will be chiming in very soon about this one. If fact, I just got off the phone with him and he said he'll be responding ASAP. :)

6. Nov 17, 2008 at 8:36 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    The volume knob on the headunit will work (even if you have the external knob connected) however you will negate the benefits of flattening the response if you used the software enclosed with the Cleansweep (the biggest benefit IMO). If flattening the response of the factory headunit is not important to you I would suggest saving some dough and using another type of interface. :)

7. Nov 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    BTW, a few post up I mentioned using another method of getting around the use of an external volume knob however I failed to mention that you will not gain the full benefit of a device such as the Cleansweep if the headunit has "volume dependent" processing.

Products Discussed in

To Top