Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio

Old 10-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
LifeIsGood169 will become famous soon enough

Name: Greg
LifeIsGood169's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to LifeIsGood169 Send a message via Skype™ to LifeIsGood169
CB Radio

I'm looking to install a CB radio (probably a more powerful 30w "export" radio - but same principles).

Any recommendations? Radio, Antenna, Mounting locations, advice? I have a first gen if it matters. Thanks!

P.S. - Hope this isn't the wrong category - couldn't find a wiring section.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
as for mounting, get a door jam mount and run it out the tailgate. i love how mine is. i also added a firestick HD spring at the base of my Firestick II 4ft antenna.
That looks great!

I ended up running my mag mount in between the cab and the bed and up through the compartment behind the drivers seat. There is a small plug in the bottom for letting water drain, it fits great!

Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Dual whips just to look awesome
Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
MountainMike is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
MountainMike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
as for mounting, get a door jam mount and run it out the tailgate. i love how mine is. i also added a firestick HD spring at the base of my Firestick II 4ft antenna.
Do you have any close up pics of the door jam mount? I am about to mount my radio and am exploring my options as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to LifeIsGood169 Send a message via Skype™ to LifeIsGood169
Wow awesome replies. Thanks. Do you ever feel like someone will try to steal your antenna or what did you guys do to prevent theft?

& about how much range are you getting out of those? Compared to the base model / wattage?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

Is there an easy way to ramp up the 4w power of a CB radio? Like buy something classified as an "export radio" or get certified for 10meter? I know 10m has almost no people compared to CB so I don't want to use it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
i was under the impression that that is illegal to do. the only ones that run at more watts are older units that were grandfathered into the new rules and regs. i may be wrong but that is how i have understood it.

If you are looking for more power for more range, your better off getting into HAM radios and getting licensed and all. The CB's arent meant for extremely long range transmissions
I'm not talking extreme transmissions like 150miles +. I've seen skipping on my uncles HAM and the last thing I want is to hit someone in another state or china. But I definitely feel a range of +/- 20miles is reasonable considering I'm not the type of person to hog air space. 4watts isn't a lot with a 6ft antenna. Just asking what you would do to change it.

Honestly, if I really wanted <4miles I'd bust out my Motorola walkie-talkies
Old 10-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

I just like having the option in case something pops up. 4miles isn't a lot of range around the Adirondack mountains - it'll probably end up being <1mile too. + I'd love to be able to talk and hear people 20miles away while cruising on the highway. I figure I can keep the output knob down for normal use.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
you could always get into sideband CB...

i had a CB that had upper and lower sideband and i was hitting other operators that were a good 20 to 30 miles away and i live up in a canyon...

although a HAM with 75w output, you can always find a home base operator somewhere... just scan all available freqs...
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #11
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood169 View Post
Is there an easy way to ramp up the 4w power of a CB radio? Like buy something classified as an "export radio" or get certified for 10meter? I know 10m has almost no people compared to CB so I don't want to use it.
You can take your Cb apart and adjust it. You won't see but 10 watts with a "bare foot" radio.

I've been running something similar to this for a few years and loved it. The Cb itself is worthless without an amp in my opinion.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/palomar-elit...89?source=eisi

Quote:
i was under the impression that that is illegal to do. the only ones that run at more watts are older units that were grandfathered into the new rules and regs. i may be wrong but that is how i have understood it.

If you are looking for more power for more range, your better off getting into HAM radios and getting licensed and all. The CB's arent meant for extremely long range transmissions
Though law hasn't changed by book, Cb radio is no longer enforced like it has been in previous years. If you aren't interrupting other signals, disturbing neighbors televisions, ect you are fine.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Though law hasn't changed by book, Cb radio is no longer enforced like it has been in previous years. If you aren't interrupting other signals, disturbing neighbors televisions, ect you are fine.
Thanks. You're right; CB has changed a lot in the last 20 years. It's definitely worth having at least a 10mi range.
I could care less about the law too. But morally I would have a big problem if a modified CB was wrecking other peoples receptions or being used to spam channels... etc. I'll definitely be testing it.

Edit:
You linked a 400w amplifier. I'm not even sure if my truck even outputs much over 60-70amps. Do you have a recomendation on something a little more reasonable?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Quote:

and here it is with the spring. i will stress the importance of the spring as it relieves some of the stress on the mount and it prevents you from snapping the antenna on low branches

and yes mine is angled back slightly on purpose.
Nice. I was wondering where do you run your coaxial into the cab of the truck? I have a double whip I am putting together and I am stumped as to how to get the cord throught the cab without having to drill a 1/2 in hole?

Thanks.