1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some good door speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by b2200srunnin, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 at 3:16 AM
    b2200srunnin

b2200srunnin [OP] Pipeliner

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Columbus, MS
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 trd pkg
    Foglight mod, Toytec Ultimate lift, Dakar leaf pack, Retros by Ant, led lights inside and out, URD TCAI/MAF sensor, Aero 2525 muffler, BFD 18x9 Matte Bronze wheels, Relentless Aluminum front bumper and steel rear bumper, 76mm Throttle body, '13+ mirrors with blinker lights, complete audio upgrade
    I have two sets of Powerbass 3XL component speakers right now. They sounded great when i first got them, paid 180 for both sets off ebay. Now the front set is a little distorted and the tweets dont really make much sound any more. Ive been wanting to buy some Boston Pros for all doors but not 100% yet. They sound great, my frient has a set in his yukon and they rock.
    What would be a good option that is close to the sound quality of the Boston speakers?
    My price range is 200-700.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    winterboy04

winterboy04 Professional Cube-Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD (Bright Red)
    Alpine CDA-9886 Hybrid Audio Unity Series components JL 250.1, JL300.4 Infinity Perfect 10.1 SVC 4ohm in custom enclosure / amp rack Alpine PXA-H100 Processor FatMat everywhere URD short shifter OEM Bed Mat Tail Gate Safety Mod (Plumbing clamps) Pro-Dry S Filter
    H.A.T. Speakers (Hybrid Audio Technology). I have a set of their "low end" Imagine series components that i got for around 250. and they sound equal (IMO) to the boston pros. Do a search for the company on this forum and you will see some VERY happy people. I just ordered a set of their Unity components (one model up from the Imagines) and will move the current speakers to the rear. you'd be blown away by the mids and tweeters on these things.

3. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:47 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    For the money, I've always had good experiences with polk audio.

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    TotalBrutal

TotalBrutal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 4X4
    Front 5100s @ 0, OME 844s, Rear 5100s, AFE pro dry filter
    Agreed. I had 4 in my old VW for 3 years, and they rocked, very reasonable price... crutchfield.com always seems to have good deals on them

5. Oct 5, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    Massive rk6. Im running these right now and they are loud!!1

6. Oct 5, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    So many options... but with questions:

1. Are you amping speakers, or running deck power?
    2. Have a subwoofer, or plan on adding one?
    3. Willing to spend less and do some sound deadening instead? (install, install, install. Its where its at.)
    4. Your "budget" has a $500 spread. This isnt a car, this is speakers. Lets get a real number you are comfortable with, not one you can "stretch to", etc.

5. I would avoid the Massive RK6. I have not heard much good about them, other than "loud", and "Horrible tweeter". Not really my bag.

7. Oct 5, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    HAT's over the Polks...
    I choose Massive - I have a pair of brand new CK6's that are just too much of a PIA to put into my 1st gen truck, so I'm getting 5.25" speakers instead. If you're interested in my Massive's, let me know. They're supposed to be very, very good (which is why I bought them).

8. Oct 5, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    b2200srunnin

b2200srunnin [OP] Pipeliner

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Columbus, MS
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 trd pkg
    Foglight mod, Toytec Ultimate lift, Dakar leaf pack, Retros by Ant, led lights inside and out, URD TCAI/MAF sensor, Aero 2525 muffler, BFD 18x9 Matte Bronze wheels, Relentless Aluminum front bumper and steel rear bumper, 76mm Throttle body, '13+ mirrors with blinker lights, complete audio upgrade

ok so here it is:
    1) I have a 800w x 4 kenwood excelon right now but will upgrade if need be.
    2) I have a probox with two 8's and it is nice, only drawback is the low end bass in rap songs. Doesnt pick it up that great but i listen to a lot of rock so it will do.
    3) I have sound deadened the doors and back wall and the floor under the subs, want to do the entire floor but do not have the time right now.
    4) Im going for sound quality at a high volume, money isnt a big deal if the equipment is worth the price.
    5) My powerbass i got i had to turn the eq curves way down because the tweets are so loud on them, but I only had them for 3 months and now the tweets are distored and some time the speakers crakel.

9. Oct 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    I've always had good experiences with diamond audio. Ran the m series in my old SUV and going to run the hex series in my tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top