Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Need some good door speakers

Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
b2200srunnin is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
b2200srunnin's Tacoma Gallery
Need some good door speakers

I have two sets of Powerbass 3XL component speakers right now. They sounded great when i first got them, paid 180 for both sets off ebay. Now the front set is a little distorted and the tweets dont really make much sound any more. Ive been wanting to buy some Boston Pros for all doors but not 100% yet. They sound great, my frient has a set in his yukon and they rock.
What would be a good option that is close to the sound quality of the Boston speakers?
My price range is 200-700.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Professional Cube-Jockey
winterboy04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
winterboy04's Tacoma Gallery
H.A.T. Speakers (Hybrid Audio Technology). I have a set of their "low end" Imagine series components that i got for around 250. and they sound equal (IMO) to the boston pros. Do a search for the company on this forum and you will see some VERY happy people. I just ordered a set of their Unity components (one model up from the Imagines) and will move the current speakers to the rear. you'd be blown away by the mids and tweeters on these things.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
For the money, I've always had good experiences with polk audio.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
TotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dan
TotalBrutal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
For the money, I've always had good experiences with polk audio.
Agreed. I had 4 in my old VW for 3 years, and they rocked, very reasonable price... crutchfield.com always seems to have good deals on them
Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Massive rk6. Im running these right now and they are loud!!1
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
So many options... but with questions:

1. Are you amping speakers, or running deck power?
2. Have a subwoofer, or plan on adding one?
3. Willing to spend less and do some sound deadening instead? (install, install, install. Its where its at.)
4. Your "budget" has a $500 spread. This isnt a car, this is speakers. Lets get a real number you are comfortable with, not one you can "stretch to", etc.

5. I would avoid the Massive RK6. I have not heard much good about them, other than "loud", and "Horrible tweeter". Not really my bag.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
Massive rk6. Im running these right now and they are loud!!1
HAT's over the Polks...
I choose Massive - I have a pair of brand new CK6's that are just too much of a PIA to put into my 1st gen truck, so I'm getting 5.25" speakers instead. If you're interested in my Massive's, let me know. They're supposed to be very, very good (which is why I bought them).
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
b2200srunnin is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
b2200srunnin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
So many options... but with questions:

1. Are you amping speakers, or running deck power?
2. Have a subwoofer, or plan on adding one?
3. Willing to spend less and do some sound deadening instead? (install, install, install. Its where its at.)
4. Your "budget" has a $500 spread. This isnt a car, this is speakers. Lets get a real number you are comfortable with, not one you can "stretch to", etc.

5. I would avoid the Massive RK6. I have not heard much good about them, other than "loud", and "Horrible tweeter". Not really my bag.

ok so here it is:
1) I have a 800w x 4 kenwood excelon right now but will upgrade if need be.
2) I have a probox with two 8's and it is nice, only drawback is the low end bass in rap songs. Doesnt pick it up that great but i listen to a lot of rock so it will do.
3) I have sound deadened the doors and back wall and the floor under the subs, want to do the entire floor but do not have the time right now.
4) Im going for sound quality at a high volume, money isnt a big deal if the equipment is worth the price.
5) My powerbass i got i had to turn the eq curves way down because the tweets are so loud on them, but I only had them for 3 months and now the tweets are distored and some time the speakers crakel.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
thebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
I've always had good experiences with diamond audio. Ran the m series in my old SUV and going to run the hex series in my tacoma.