Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

radio display lighting

Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
stevensc is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
stevensc's Tacoma Gallery
radio display lighting

On a bright day I have a hard time making out the details on the radio display, station, track etc. If I am wearing sunglasses I can't make out any of it at all. My eyesight is about average I'd say.
This is the radio/single CD unit in a 2011 Tacoma.
I have tried the interior dimmer settings but it does'nt seem to have any effect.
Thanks for any advice!
Steve
Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
jrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud ofjrobcet has much to be proud of

Name: Jeff
jrobcet's Tacoma Gallery
Not much you can do about direct sunlight on it. That's just the nature of displays -- too much sunlight and the screen will be washed out.

As for the sunglasses, I'm betting you have polarized lenses which can make LCD displays unreadable. There is not much you can do about that other than getting a pair of sunglasses that don't have polarized lenses.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
stevensc is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
stevensc's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, it's sad, the clock has a super bright lighted display.
Steve
Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
You are pretty much screwed.
I have the same problem, especially when any dust is on it. It seems to me like the angle of that panel is juuust right to catch the sun. I wish it was tilted downward a little bit more.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I think the only radio that I didn't have this problem with was an older Eclipse unit I had. That display had a VFD like the Compass/Temp display and it was sweet in any amount of light. I do notice it a lot more in the Tacoma though. Maybe I'll be irritated enough to try a cool aftermarket unit...