Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Questions on setting levels

Old 10-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
Questions on setting levels

Ok here is my setup:

Factory HU ran to a Audio Control LC2I Line output converter.
LOC to 2 channel amp for doors and a seperate 2 channel bridged to my sub.
Per the instructions that came with the LOC I should set the volume of the HU 3/4 of the way up and slowly turn the gain knobs on the LOC (one for full range and one for bass output) until the maximized light starts blinking. I am assuming this means the signal is clipping. I did that but when I go to set the gains on my amps they basically have to be all the way down in order to not distort the speakers. They sound good now but I can hear a small hiss and I am sure the levels are not set correctly. I know the purpose of the gain knobs is to try to "match" the output of the radio to the amp or something like that but if someone could give me some pointers I would appreciate it.

Also this LOC has the Accubass feature which is supposed to correct the factory bass rolloff of the HU but I didn't really notice any so I left it off.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is that the original signal from the factory amp isn't all that great. I would take the volume down to half on the headunit and do the tune again.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Would you run the gain on the converter up to the "maximized" setting though?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendbolden View Post
Would you run the gain on the converter up to the "maximized" setting though?
Do what i said and follow the same process with the lights. Then set your amp gains.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
My guess is that the original signal from the factory amp isn't all that great. I would take the volume down to half on the headunit and do the tune again.

+1 on this and make sure all your EQ's are disabled. You may be getting distortion from the bass being turned up.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
What is being played when you are setting the maximum gain?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Come and take them.

I just put in a cd of the loudest/heaviest music I usually listen too. I got some advice on another forum that said to set the gains on the amp to about 75% and adjust everything from the LOC. Any wisdom in this?? Also all eq's are set flat.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Air Force:
I have never used the unit you have, but I would suggest downloading the 1 KHz 0dB tone from the test tones post at the top of this section (Audio & Video).

As long as the amplifier you are using is NOT greatly overpowering for the speakers, here's the method I have always used to get quick and easy results.

Turn gain down on all amps, turn gain down on the AC LC2I, turn volume down on head unit.

Play 1 KHz tone, turn up volume on head unit until tone changes or distorts. Turn up gain on AC LC2I unit until tone changes or distorts. Turn up gain on door speaker amp until tone changes or distorts.

The distortion issue should be easy to understand -- you don't want it. The tone changing thing means the signal is clipping. It will seem to produce a higher tone sound because it goes from a pure sine to a square wave and higher frequencies are falsely introduced.

Then download a tone at/near the frequency you have between the sub and the other speakers - turn the gain up on the sub amp until they seem to be as equally loud as you can manage.

Then you have a baseline from which to deviate as you listen and become more familiar with the system, crank up the bass some desired, etc.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Come and take them.

^^ I will try this method. It seems to be the most "professional" way I've heard so far.haha thanks! Would you recommend a frequency for the bass around 50hz?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendbolden View Post
^^ I will try this method. It seems to be the most "professional" way I've heard so far.haha thanks! Would you recommend a frequency for the bass around 50hz?
If it wasn't clear, once you hear distortion coming through or the sound pitch change in frequency, you have to turn it back down to where it isn't heard, otherwise the next stage is screwed up.

I would recommend whatever frequency you have set as the crossover between speakers and sub. Sometimes that 50Hz, sometime 80, or whatever. What you're trying to established is simply balanced sound between the sub and door speakers - then once you know that spot, you adjust bass to whatever you like (your stereo, your money). This, of course, assumes you don't turn the sub amp up so loud the amp cuts out or the sub distorts, etc. If for some reason you can't find the tone at the frequency where you need it, send me a PM with an email address and I'll make one up for you.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
Come and take them.

I used the test tone method on the doors and got it close but I still had to tweak it by ear and then I just tuned the subs by ear rather than digging up another test tone. I will say the the system sounds better and the most clean as a whole with the gain on the amps set about half way to 3/4 of the way of with the fine tuning done at the LOC. Don;t know why that is and if anyone cares to collaborate I wouldn't mind knowing. Other than that thanks for all the advice guys. Oh and the hiss was definitely just the LOC set too high as it went away.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Air Force:
That's good news - all's well that ends well.