LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Installing A Double-Din Head Unit

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Installing A Double-Din Head Unit

OK, I took out my Toyota stereo today, and replaced it with a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, with HD radio add-on, and the Axxess steering wheel control adapter, and a relay to allow me to play videos without the parking brake on.
I haven't seen any pics on this sight of the disconnecting of the old radio and how to connect everything, so here are some pictures for you guys doing it in the future.

Disconnecting the hazard/clock/airbag display is a BITCH. The panel consists of a black out cover, a white inner cover, and a clock circuit board.
You have to get out all three pieces, without breaking their tabs. I used 4 razor blades to slip between the plastic parts to hold each of the clips away far enough for me to pull each cover out.
This is the outer black cover inside the new Schoche unit.

Here is the black cover with the clock circuit board. The white cover goes inside the black cover, and over the clock circuit board.

All the adapters and add-ons. I had them all taped, nice and neat, with the HD tuner taped to the top. DIDN'T work. There was not enough room behind the radio for all the wires, and the way you have to slide the radio in will not allow the HD tuner on the top. I had to jam everything to the sides of where the radio goes to make room for it to slide in.

There were no directions for the harness adapters, and there was an extra plug in the truck that I found out was pre-wiring for an XM radio.
There were no directions for the Axxess module either.
Even without much in the way of directions, I joined the same colored wires together, and it all worked.
The directions for the receiver weren't much better, so I am still discovering how all the controls work, but the steering wheel controls,the HD tuner the parking break override and the ipod over USB all work great.
It took me all day to put everything together, but I have never done a radio replacement before, so if I can do it, so can you.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
nice work man, and this builds confidence for when i eventually do this. i have never done anthing like this befoe either but i like doing my own work. BTW you forgot to add that "installed" shot.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Bens MBL TACO will become famous soon enoughBens MBL TACO will become famous soon enough

Bens MBL TACO's Tacoma Gallery
installed pics pls. Nice job man, way to tackle it with little to no directions.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Final Install

Here is the final outcome. I painted the Scoche dash black, and the panel beneath it black to match. I put the BT mike just above the 4x4 switch.
The screen was playing an explosion from the movie Dune.
I will have to connect the microphone with something better, as the double-sided tape keeps coming off.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Law Enforcement:
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
In the picture, you'll notice I taped over the Airbag alert. My wife doesn't wear her seatbelt, and I am tired at looking at the blinking red light.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
2Kings920 is on a distinguished road
EMS: EMT-Basic
Name: MartyV
2Kings920's Tacoma Gallery
With the BT mic in front of the air vent does it pic up the sound of air moving by when A/C is on full blast? It looks like you had to drill a small hole in the 4x4 switch cover?

I'm debating doing almost the same install. I've got a AVIC Z-1 w/ back up cam and I've located a iPod adapter kit to add. I'm nervous though, I've never messed with car stereos and I don't want to get it apart and not be able to get all back together.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
Here is the final outcome. I painted the Scoche dash black, and the panel beneath it black to match. I put the BT mike just above the 4x4 switch.
The screen was playing an explosion from the movie Dune.
I will have to connect the microphone with something better, as the double-sided tape keeps coming off.

Hi, i was wondering for your bluetooth mic, did you drill through your plastic to get it right on top of your 4x4 switch? thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Law Enforcement:
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
I drilled a hole for the mike, only to realize after that I didn't need to.
The 4X4 switch plate pops right off and all I really needed was to grind a little off the back to let the wire through.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Law Enforcement:
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
I tried out my mike with the air on, and the person on the phone said I sounded loud and clear, so no problems with the mike location.