1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Issues

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Martigan, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    Martigan

Martigan [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey everyone,new to this.I just bought my 2011 tacoma,4x4,access cab that i've always wanted (saved up forever..lol) i love it...but the sound is so...quite.When i listen to the radio it's fine and MOST cd's (burned ones and "real" ones) but when i hook up my ipod either threw the aux jack or tansmitter,the sound can be max on the ipod and the truck deck and it's too quite.It's alright but when i turn up the sound,i want it loud you know!! lol.My old ride never had this issues (just have factory speakers and deck) I'm not some crazy car guy or want some pimped out ride,lol but i do enjoy my music loud,just let anyone else.so i was wondering if this DPS would fix my problem...is it worth it? has anyone else had these problem?

any info would be welcomed,thanks

2. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Hey,

Welcome, I have a 2011 DCab bought it in May 2011 it came with the standard non JBL system. I had the same problem with the IPod audio being lower then normal with 2 windows open 65-70 mph you couldn't hear anything off the iPod and regular Cd/Fm-Am was just about as bad. I yanked the entire system out two weeks ago replacing it with a Kenwood (Nav.Bluetooth, Steering wheel controls and direct iPod interface along with a 10" Sub 200 and 400 watt amps and component 6.5 all away around. As I understand it, it is a fairly common complaint on the stock head units.

Cypher

3. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    my father had the same thing happen with his new car. there's a setting in the "settings" of your ipod that will allow you to really crank it up. i think the ipod setting is like midway, but you can spin it all the way up. give me second and i'll check on mine where to change it. what kind of ipod is it?

edit: yeah it's under "volume limit" in "settings" on my ipod. . . also, if you're just running it through your ipod headphone jack you're already limiting yourself. the "digital to analog converter" in an ipod is only made to convert that digital file to analog (the only thing our organic ears can hear) loud and clean enough to play through little headphones. when you use a cable running out of the bottom, the file stays digital until it uses your much bigger and better DAC to convert it and play through your truck speakers.

4. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    JG I know the setting your talking about in my case mine was maxed out already. :{

1. Select Settings > Volume Limit.
      The volume control shows the current volume.
    2. Use the Click Wheel to select the maximum volume.
      You can press Play to hear the currently selected song play while you select the maximum volume limit.
    3. Press the Center button to set the maximum volume limit.
      A triangle on the volume bar indicates the maximum volume limit.

5. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    Martigan

Martigan [OP] Member

Member:
    ya i know the setting too,and mine is maxed out also : ( I have a nano...i can't recall the gen. but i think it's the one just before they went to the tall and thin nanos.I have the JBL sound system in this (or at least i'm pretty sure) i have the ASL option which i can pick low,mid and high so i think thats the jbl.Right now i have it at mid.It's not bad for cd.s but with th ipod its a joke.

6. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Martigan

Martigan [OP] Member

Member:
    how do i use a cable running out of the bottom?? what kind of cable is this and where do i attatch this too? am i ripping out the deck here or?

7. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
    hmmmmm. well im running out of ideas then haha. maybe a treble booster in your EQ. though the other stuff in my edit is to be considered. you might just be better off getting a new head unit. they make great ones with sub hookups already made in and that will certainly get it loud enough for less than $200. im gonna do it soon i hope. cause i, like you love some loud music :). not even rap and bass stuff, EVERYTHING!! haha.

oh, and the top left (or is it right?) corner of your head unit will say "JBL" on a little black square if you have it.

8. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
    it would be the cable you sync your ipod to your computer with. i don't know how the 11's are but i don't have a factory way to run it though a headphone jack or the bottom piece. i know ya'll have some way to do it. though if it's like my sisters newer model camry it would just be through your headphone jack. . . .like i said you'll get the best and loudest sound by running it out of the bottom so your factory amp converts the digital file.

9. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
  10. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
    and for my last consecutive post lol, just remember that toyota knows better than to give you a factory way to blow your speakers too quick. that would cost them a lot for all the trucks still under warranty. and that's why you're limited mostly.

11. Oct 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
  12. Oct 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    Martigan

Martigan [OP] Member

Member:
    hmm interesting...thanks for the posts.ya sounds like alot of people have the same issues.So what do people think about this DPS thing? also if i take this deck out,will an aftermarket deck not look sloppy or are ones today made to fit in nice.When i was younger my friends always had aftermarket decks and they looked and sound good but i always thought they looked sloppy.

13. Oct 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
    if you buy from someone like crutchfield you'll get a the trim to make it look good. and ours are easy to take out. here's the link in the DIY section in mods and tutorials.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/571-stereo-upgrade-basic-how-2nd-gen.html

pretty easy to do.

14. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    ZZT

ZZT Member

Member:
  15. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    Martigan

Martigan [OP] Member

Member:
    hmm this sound shocker thing sound interesting,i live up in canada near Toronto.Is this product sold here? what stores is it sold at?

Products Discussed in

To Top