Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Equalizer settings

Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #21
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
I had the p3200bt and felt like I could never get it sounding just right. I just installed an x930bt and the sound is amazing. I wish I knew what they did different with this one.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #22
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
The link you provided is a guide for recording engineers. Assuming they have done their job this guide does not apply to you in attempting to tune your audio system. What you're going for is faithful reproduction of the recording they have already made these adjustments to.

This being the case, you're not going to be able to get an idea about where your EQ settings "should" be based on what others have theirs set at since you are tuning your particular listening environment and setup. This means the equalization you apply is simply for tuning out abnormal qualities caused by the acoustics in your car and/or audio equipment. Ideally, you don't want to have to apply any equalization, but we know this just isn't feasible.

In all of my years of tuning sound systems though, I'd like to just throw out these bits of advice:

- I find you get better results if you cut rather than boost.

-It's important to try and avoid multiple crossovers, so if possible, use the HP/LP filters on your head unit OR amplifier and not both, as this introduces phasing complications.

- If you don't have access to an RTA what I would do is crank it up to a moderate level and cut what hurts.

- A higher LP setting will move your lower end sound stage to the rear or wherever your sub is, so you want to go as low as you can get away with generally.

- Don't EQ using content you are unfamiliar with, and use good quality recordings.

The frequency response of my truck is fairly flat from 200Hz up. 160Hz and down are about 10dB above flat. I have found this to sound the best when listening to a variety of genres of music and different inputs. I never have to mess with my EQ or boost/cut any bass when putting something different in. Keep in mind that this is what works for me and my sound system though. Your results may vary, but take your time and enjoy the process.
Thanks for taking the time to write this post very informative! I'll try cutting back a bit to see how that changes things as well as lowering the LP filter down a bit to test that as well. In answer to a previous poster, the only way I can "turn off" the LP filter going to my amp channels for the Sub would be to move them off of the subwoofer preouts and then I would lose the ON/OFF control as well as the "gain" control in software. I think the biggest difference between my settings and others that I've seen is that I prefer the vocals to be prominent even in rock music, where others prefer the guitars / bass to be center stage, so I agree that not one equalizer setting would make everyone happy! I'll keep playing around with the settings, thanks again
Old 10-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #23
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Alright so before I left for work I was playing around with some settings out of curiousity, so I set the EQ to flat, the subwoofer LPF to 80/100 Hz (played with both), and then upped the volume to see what was prominent and what needed to be turned down.

First impressions were that turning the LPF down a bit really quieted my truck down, as the sub was just putting out a lot of "sound" (obviously since more content is being sent to it) and that by turning it down to 100 Hz, I could hear the drums much more clearly but still have some bass vibration coming through. I'm undecided on 80 Hz as it makes it very hard to tell that the sub is there, but I'll keep playing around with it.

As far as the EQ being set flat and then modified I could instantly tell that I wanted the low end turned down as it was overpowering the rest of the music, and I could no longer hear the highs, so I tried adjusting 2.5-10kHz on up to get a "brighter" sound as I've heard it called. So far I'm the most pleased with just adjusting the LPF on the subwoofer because I didn't realize how much sound was coming out of it, to the point of almost giving me a headache when my windows were closed. I'll keep playing around with all of the settings and keep everyone updated.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #24
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
When I set mine up I had a hard time getting control over 200Hz, it was spiking like a mofo so I had to turn it down the most. I don't know if that was a truck thing or a speaker thing though. For the LPF to the sub, I ultimately set it to 60Hz because anything above that and I could hear bass guitar parts moving forward and back between the door speakers and the subwoofer. I think at the time I was listening to that solo by Cliff Burton on Metallica's Kill 'Em All record. Super annoying.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Is that the ipad 2 eq app?if not what is that from. Looks good btw. I miss the old dancing eg. Does anyone know where I can get one from? Ebay doesnt have any good ones.