Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Where'd you put your GPS antenna?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
Where'd you put your GPS antenna?

Just installed an avic-x930bt
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery

I know...I'm not helping.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you use the metal pad.

I put the pad on top of the plastic duct work just to the driver's side of the radio opening, then put the GPS puck between the metal pad and the dash (sort of lightly wedged in there). The dash, being plastic, has no effect on the GPS signal.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Did the baja model come wiht that option?
Apparently it came with a jackstand option too
Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
rexel is on a distinguished road
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post

I put the pad on top of the plastic duct work just to the driver's side of the radio opening, then put the GPS puck between the metal pad and the dash (sort of lightly wedged in there). The dash, being plastic, has no effect on the GPS signal.

I put mine in the same place....
Old 10-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post

I did the same, but to the passenger side. Works great, 10ft accuracy.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
08bluetacoma is a jewel in the rough08bluetacoma is a jewel in the rough08bluetacoma is a jewel in the rough

EMS:
Name: Dave
08bluetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
stuck mine right behind the stereo under the dash works great
Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I don't have one. But I'd put it on the top.

On the top of anything, but GPS is L-band, Line of sight reception..... you guys that are mountin em under stuff, I'm impressed, must be some high gain antennas you got!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevAdam View Post
I did the same, but to the passenger side. Works great, 10ft accuracy.
Got a picture of it?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
The dash is not much more than a sheet of vinyl, not all that thick. If you press up against it from underneath, you can feel it give up on top. The GPS signals being between 1.2 and 1.6 GHz aren't affected much by thin vinyl or glass. AFAIK the only thin materials that impact signal are all either conductive or water based.

For the OP, the GPS uses an antenna pattern that is more or less hemispherical, so try not to mount it sideways since it won't see signals through the metallic/magnetic base.