1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some pics from a newbie installing components

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TRDSport17North, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    TRDSport17North

TRDSport17North [OP] 06SR5,17TRDSport,22TRDSport

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Sport D/C L/B Premium
    Oem LEDs Heads and Fogs, Interior and exterior LED's, Tonneau Cover, Tint, Running Boards, decals overlays and inserts, Bed mat and lighting, Mats, Speaker upgrade, amp, powered sub, Dsp. Meso Stage 1 tails. Complete front end Expel paint protection, ceramic coated, rust protection, 265 70 17 Cooper at3 4s on 17" OEM Sema Pro wheels. More to come...
    Yes i am kinda new here. Bought a 06 Tacoma Access Cab V6 4X4 with 30,000 on it 2 months ago. One of my mods was this speaker set-up from *********. I bought the Image Dynamics Access Cab full speakers package. Everything went smooth with Rob at *********, the emails, the order, the delivery, (even to here to Canada) and even the install. Some have had concerns about the Access door hardware (bolts) not being right. Yes i wondered also, but with some pressure being applied while turning the all went in perfectly. The only thing i think (cause i didn't know) was that i didn't need the front component harness kit (i had to cut the wires anyways). The only real issue i had was trying to figure out the front door wiring. Couldn't find anything to help me out. After some beer and a lawn chair to think about it, it came to me! The power is being returned to the sub from the tweeter! Anyways here is a not so slick (non computer savvy pic) i took of what i figured out. Hope this helps anyone like me out! Cheers Al

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/194439/cat/500/ppuser/59880

2. Dec 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    504taco

504taco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    N.O.L.A.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner SR5
    -Fog light mod -Yellow laminx fog -shorty antenna -maglight mount -tinted windows -alpine head unit -8" JBL sub -laminx yellow fogs -power inverter installed behind rear passenger seat -TX PRO rims -BFG All Terrain KO
    I just bought the CTX65CS Component Speakers from ********* as well. I wanted to get the most out of them and have been researching sound dampening the doors. I see youve dampend the entire door, looks great! How did everything come out? Are the components amp'd? Do they put out decent midbass?

Sorry, Ive got so many questions. I cant wait to do this install but I wanna do it right. Any info would help.

3. Dec 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    TRDSport17North

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Oem LEDs Heads and Fogs, Interior and exterior LED's, Tonneau Cover, Tint, Running Boards, decals overlays and inserts, Bed mat and lighting, Mats, Speaker upgrade, amp, powered sub, Dsp. Meso Stage 1 tails. Complete front end Expel paint protection, ceramic coated, rust protection, 265 70 17 Cooper at3 4s on 17" OEM Sema Pro wheels. More to come...
    Sorry getting back so late to you Jacob, but it tis the season for running around!

No probs about all the questions.

I used a product called FATMAT it looks and acts just like Dynamat i think and half the price. I just did the outside of the doors. Some do inside the door as well as what i did. It is a little bit better than before but i still here road noise from the back seat and roof still.

The speakers are great, my only beef would be that the front components are missing some mid-range. Good lows and good highs, but minimal midrange. I almost think a coax in the bottom and a tweeter ontop would be more to my taste (alternative rock)

I added a 4 channel amp and it really made the difference in the missing sound. Along with the amp i also installed a sound ordance 8" low pro under the seat. Hope this helps you out. Cheers Al

4. Dec 29, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    XJBaylor

XJBaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    King coilovers with remote reservoirs, Deaver 12 leaf pack with 5100's, TRD exhaust, Kenwood 6160, Anthracite Sport Wheels
    Just remember, "sound deadening" (fatmat, dynamat, etc.) are not designed to stop sound from entering the cab, but to change the resonant frequency of the surfaces to which they are attached, thereby reducing the effect of having (in essence) an extra speaker behind every speaker in your vehicle.

Saying that you still have unwanted road noise after installing fatmat may be a little misleading as fatmat wasn't designed to block/absorb road noise.

Other than that, great job on the install, the doors look clean!

5. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    504taco

504taco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    N.O.L.A.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner SR5
    -Fog light mod -Yellow laminx fog -shorty antenna -maglight mount -tinted windows -alpine head unit -8" JBL sub -laminx yellow fogs -power inverter installed behind rear passenger seat -TX PRO rims -BFG All Terrain KO
    The main reason I'm deadening is for the speakers sake. Im not very bothered by road noise but knowing it will help is nice. Later I plan to add
    either a 8" or 10" sub behind the rear seat, amp both the components and the sub and just run my rear door 6.5"'s with my alpine head unit for fill. I have a DC btw.

Yea, I started researching door deadening/dampenning and it got real confusing. There is a lot of misleading info on the subject. Your
    Write-up w/ pics was helpful. Thanks for the reply.

6. Dec 30, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    polox40

polox40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    I sound proofed with raamat and deadened with b-quiet ultimate the whole back wall of my DC and under the rear seat, made a huge diff in road noise from my goodyear MT/R's, only deadened the 4 doors not enough room for the raamat, it's a lot better, I noticed the difference in road noise from deadning the doors,( I drove for 3 weeks with the back done before i did the doors) remember it's only a thin sheet of clear plastic in there.

In my truck it seemed that most of the noise was coming from the backwall.

7. Dec 31, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    TRDSport17North

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Yes I totally agree with just doing my doors only that all the road noise is coming from my back wall of my A/Cab. My main reason for doing the doors was to try and stop them sound like a empty tin can. And also every body knows that any speaker will preform better in a sealed closer. No University Degrees on my wall here, but I knew that a sheet of plastic wasn't going to help. My personal take is on where the speakers are placed on the doors is what can make or break a sound system. With my 06 A/Cab the back doors being smaller and the speaker being placed in the middle of the door, I find that my single 6 1/2 coax speaker out preforms my fronts. With my components the fronts have the tweeter aiming right at you and the 6 1/2 mid bass is lost being to the carpet around your feet. If they where up around the door handle like my rears are, I would bet the sound would be 10 times better up front. Heys thanks for chat boys! Have a great and safe New Year. Cheers Al

Products Discussed in

To Top