Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

wiring question.. soldering wires?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
campagna is on a distinguished road
campagna's Tacoma Gallery
ohh okay thank you! i didnt know i needed to cut the semi ring
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
For that ground connector, I just drilled a pilot hole in the metal tubing behind the dash and used a self tapping sheetmetal screw and screwed the spade connector to the metal beam.

You don't really NEED to solder the connections. While I do solder certain things...it's not really necessary with a headunit. I use "smash caps" and use the splicing method below and have NEVER had a splice come loose in all of the headunits I have installed (which is a lot BTW more than I can count).

Attached Thumbnails
wiring question.. soldering wires?-crimping.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
campagna is on a distinguished road
campagna's Tacoma Gallery
i got it working thanks guys! my first head unit was a success, a lot of work but was worth it
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by campagna View Post
i got it working thanks guys! my first head unit was a success, a lot of work but was worth it
Here is my CD player.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
i pretty much use crimps with enviromental sheilding. I mean if its good enough to use on a 24million dollar ah-64D apache that sees more stress and oil and hydralic fluid than any car i have ever driven, then it is good enough for my 30k dollar toyota

Great minds think alike. I'm assuming you use Raychem as well? I think they might be the only ones approved. Do you guys go by NAVAIR 505 or your own manual?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #26
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Great minds think alike. I'm assuming you use Raychem as well? I think they might be the only ones approved. Do you guys go by NAVAIR 505 or your own manual?
i think we use that one but not really sure. i know we have our own manual with info about wiring for our aircraft.

im not sure if they are raychem or not, the splices are metal tubes with a blue, red or yellow stripe on it with a Blueish heat shrink with a blue/yellow/red strip on it to correspond with the right splice. splice the wire then slide blueish heat shrink over and heat up. works great