Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Wiring New Speakers

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
tacco is on a distinguished road
tacco's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring New Speakers

Ok so I'm a long time tacomaworld reader, always check it before any kind of mod on my truck, and this is the first question that I have had still unanswered:

I recently threw a new alpine HU and speakers in the car. Sounds great, but I decided I want to put some rear speakers in the back doors since the holes are there and everything. I know there are some users who have done this, and it seems relatively straightforward.

My problem is (and i am in no way wire savvy, but first time for everything) wiring without using an amp to power these. Since there is no existing wiring in the rear doors, how can I tap into either the wires running from the existing rear "speakers" in the headliner and use that harness, or going straight to the head unit.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
tacco's Tacoma Gallery
^ ok yeah thats what i was thinking:

now this is where my non-wire experience comes in. Can anybody (briefly) explain how to wire this to me. Without a harness coming off the HU into the rear doors, i am lost. I do not see how simple speaker wire will work getting it to the HU, since the speaker wire is double wired, and by the time it plugs into the HU, its single, due to the harness.

I probably sound like an idiot, so forgive me. I just can't figure this out.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Behind the head unit there are the wires for the speakers. Each speaker gets 2 wires, a +/- wire. Run a new wire to the door speaker, and up to the dash behind the head unit.

Disconnect the factory roof speakers, connect door speakers, and you are in business.

OR

are you wanting to keep the roof speakers and add door speakers?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
tacco's Tacoma Gallery
No the roof speakers sound awful with the new upgrades, all i can hear is crackling and popping.

so your first set of instructions is perfect. thank you so much, glad its as easy as i thought it would be
Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
The roof speakers suck. I used a wiring harness adapter like the one shown. In this set up, the rear speaker wires go to the smaller plug with purple and green wires. If you are not using the stock wires, it would be easiest to run wires straight from your head unit as mentioned above.

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness.../dp/B000KL37AO

Products Discussed in this Thread