Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Bolt on my amp is stuck. what should i do

Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
chaos316 is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
chaos316's Tacoma Gallery
Bolt on my amp is stuck. what should i do

The bolt that clamps down my power wire is stuck. I have tried wd40 and pretty much everything else. now the bolt it stripped. what do you guys think i should do?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #2

its the bolt that screws down on the power wire
its stuck all the way down
Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Did you actually allow the WD40 to penetrate or did you spray and try and unscrew?

If it is stripped, good luck with that. You can try drilling it out.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Pull harder.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
alright I'm going to go try all of those right now. wd40 wont hurt the amp at all will it?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
can that all be found at a home improvement store? i want to take it to a local audio shop, but i feel like they would charge a lot, know its the only jl audio dealer in town
Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
grab a drill with a small bit and make a hole on the stripped screw, try to brake it off or some times while your drilling a hole it will start unscrewing it self. After you've done that, do hunting for a new one or find something similar to it, alot of times audio shops have spare screws they will sell ya or even have it for free.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
can that all be found at a home improvement store? i want to take it to a local audio shop, but i feel like they would charge a lot, know its the only jl audio dealer in town
you can always look for the screw online, if you live in a little city, just type in the model of the amp,
Old 10-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
alright. thanks guys
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
yea i think I'm gonna run to that shop real quick.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Do you really need to remove the wire? Did you sell the amp? Are you replacing the amp? If replacing-just cut the wire. If selling-sell it with the ground wire. Problem solved.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Use a dremel and cut a slot in the head of the bolt. Then use a flat head to unscrew it.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
no I'm installing it and i can't get the power wire attached
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
i would but i don't have a dremel
Old 10-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
You might be able to hammer a slightly larger flat head into the head of the bolt and get the same effect.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Opihiman10 is on a distinguished road
Opihiman10's Tacoma Gallery
If you can make sure the connector does provide direct access into the amp you should be fine. However things like liquid wrench and the WD40 tend to get everywhere whether you want it or not.

One more option you can try is to heat the black portion up with maybe a soldering iron. or a small torch with a damp cloth covering the rest of the amp.

Good luck.

OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
alright I'm going to go try all of those right now. wd40 wont hurt the amp at all will it?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
Firetech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiretech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ralph
Firetech's Tacoma Gallery
Drill a small hole, get an easy out at the hardware store. It should come right out.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no I'm installing it and i can't get the power wire attached
I gotcha now. I'm a little slow. Your best bet may be to drill it out if you can't cut a slot in it. I'd get a reverse drill bit smaller than the screw. As you are drilling it will probably start to back itself out. Use pb blaster or aerokroil and let it soak overnight before hand.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
alright thanks a lot