1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Still sounds like crap! Back to the wallet i go!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TRDSport17North, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    TRDSport17North

TRDSport17North [OP] 06SR5,17TRDSport,22TRDSport

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Sport D/C L/B Premium
    Oem LEDs Heads and Fogs, Interior and exterior LED's, Tonneau Cover, Tint, Running Boards, decals overlays and inserts, Bed mat and lighting, Mats, Speaker upgrade, amp, powered sub, Dsp. Meso Stage 1 tails. Complete front end Expel paint protection, ceramic coated, rust protection, 265 70 17 Cooper at3 4s on 17" OEM Sema Pro wheels. More to come...
    Well i installed the ********* Image Dynamics Components and coax's and it sounds just ok. I dont know what the JBL sounds like but any other OEM Tacoma HU just is so plain! Tip to all future up-graders maybe..... its not the speakers it the HU that needs to be done first. I wanted to try and stay OEM, but no chance in hell now. So back into my pockets i go! Just bought the Kenwood DDX418 6.1 plus Kenwood's own ipod cable, Metra dash kit and The Sound Ordnance B-8PT powered subwoofer. This shit better work, cause i am out some serious beer money here!

2. Oct 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    I usually try focus on one audio upgrade at a time, then you can afford some quality stuff rather than trying to cram a few things into 1 budget.....just an idea...

3. Oct 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    is it the extreme simplicity of stock decks or the fact they wont get stolen?

I really hated my stock cd player

4. Oct 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    Sprink669

Sprink669 Well-Known Member

Member:

That seems just like the JL "Clean Sweep".

5. Oct 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    That's what I did. I started with just a HU and it made a HUGE difference in sound quality even with the stock speakers. Then I added an 8 inch sub and 200w amp and now it sounds awesome! It won't set off car alarms or anything but the sound quality is def better than I started with. But I am now starting to notice some crackling from my front speakers when certain songs are on, NBD for now...... Looks like new door speakers are coming in my future.

6. Oct 23, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    Sprink669

Sprink669 Well-Known Member

Member:
    do you have a pic of your system?

7. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    TRDSport17North

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Oem LEDs Heads and Fogs, Interior and exterior LED's, Tonneau Cover, Tint, Running Boards, decals overlays and inserts, Bed mat and lighting, Mats, Speaker upgrade, amp, powered sub, Dsp. Meso Stage 1 tails. Complete front end Expel paint protection, ceramic coated, rust protection, 265 70 17 Cooper at3 4s on 17" OEM Sema Pro wheels. More to come...
    Well i should of read these before i started shelling out the dough! Especially that thing about the lc6i from audio control. My Deck has nice features, the sound is better (a little better) than my stock deck with the upgraded speakers. My 8" powerd sub is coming tomorrow, i hope it improves the sound more. I give it a 7 out of 10 in sound, maybe the sub will bump it up to 8 or 9 out of 10. Here is my picks.

IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg

8. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Where did you get your metra dash kit from al?

9. Oct 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I've taken a similar path but I have a little different opinion on the HU/Speakers. I couldn't believe how weak the midtones on the factory speakers were, so I replaced my fronts with Alpine S 6x9s. Highs and mids were improved 100% with the stock HU, but I actually lost a little bass compared to the the stockers. I was really surprised, but I chalked it up to the weak HU.

So, I've been running my stock HU with the fade set to about 4 points front and the bass set about 2+ and most of my music sounds pretty good.

My next-level steps are similar to yours - I bought the Sound Ordnanace powered sub and am agonizing over a new HU. I'm surprised you don't hear more difference before/after your HU change, but I'm hoping I hear a big difference. I think the new HU will drive the 6x9s better, and the SO sub should pack just enough low-end for me. I'm not looking to rattle anything, I just want some nice tight bass. The bass from the factory rears is there, but it's mushy, and the underpowered 6x9s up front aren't giving me much bass at all.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too disappointed, I think you're on the right track.

10. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    TRDSport17North

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    It is a Metra I ordered it at Future Shop big electronics chain here in Canada which is owned buy Best Buy now.

11. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    TRDSport17North

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    I here ya on this. I am not a big fan of after market decks 1 I hate changing the look of the flow of factory interior and 2 I am now locking my truck due to theft. I owned a 2006 FX4 F-150 supercab and all I needed to do was do the door speakers and put in a factory sub all this with a OEM HU and it sounded amazing. These (mine anyways) HU non JBL just has no highs mids and lows. Looking for clean rich tones. Maybe I need to ditch the components up front so I can get more mids up there. This sub better improve all this. And thanks for the great reply. Cheers Al.

12. Oct 24, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Cinco

Cinco Team no taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Rio Rancho,NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 Civic Ex Coupe
    I agree the Lc6i is a monster. The Cleansweep does do as much processing ans the audiocontrol unit. The voltage output of the ac unit alone is worth it. We used one in a raptor and the sound was fantastic. If your going the OEM route the I suggest anything from Audiocontrol. If they are to pricey then try Cache products. Quality stuff and that company is ran by Diamond Audio.

13. Oct 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Lol, that's awesome. I love that getting the new HU now makes you lock your doors. I'd love to live where locking your doors is an option. Every door in my entire house stays locked, backed up by a nifty alarm system. The truck stays in the garage, locked, under lock and key. And I live in a smallish city (100K people). Canada is cool like that.

14. Oct 25, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    TRDSport17North

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lol. Kida sound like Fort Knox! Ya my city has 150,000. Its pretty safe all they steal here is your snow blower and ski-doo! QUOTE=Polymerhead;3916796]Lol, that's awesome. I love that getting the new HU now makes you lock your doors. I'd love to live where locking your doors is an option. Every door in my entire house stays locked, backed up by a nifty alarm system. The truck stays in the garage, locked, under lock and key. And I live in a smallish city (100K people). Canada is cool like that.[/QUOTE]

15. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    TRDSport17North

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well the Sound Ordnance B-8pt made a big difference, now the bass is backed off the door speakers for that full sound i was looking for. Also i didn't know till a friend showed me that i had a 3 position adjustment for my Image Dynamics crossovers, so put them on +3. Sleeping much better knowing i didn't just spend all that money on a OK system. Thanks for the input guys. Cheers Al

16. Nov 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    Naptown

Naptown Member

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Dont waste your money on the JBL, I had it in my Tundra and was very disappointed!

17. Nov 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Glad it worked out. I did the same, ran everything a couple weekends ago, set my crossovers and sub gain and after a few days of tweaking it all sounds great.

18. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    Haseaboggin

Haseaboggin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Dbl cab short box debadged
    Anytime fog lights Mod Kenwood head unit infinity door speakers HID Fog lights HID Headlights HID Reverse lights TSB Leafs 17x9 Fuel Kranks Goodyear tires
    I have a stupid stereo question. I have 2 tacoma with the JBL sound and I want to upgrade the head unit but I look online and it says there are 3 different wire harnesses I need and one of them is 150 bucks. Is this true? I was hoping somebody could help me out with a part number for the wire harness and dash kit or even tell me where to go and get the right ones.

19. Nov 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    This is the best option, if your ok with the features of the stock deck you should just add an amp with a good line output converter like the audio controll mentioned. An aftermarket deck will sound a little bit better but no where near as good as an amp

20. Nov 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    If you have the jbl system the one that's 150.00 is the one you need it integrates the aftermarket deck with the factory jbl amps

Products Discussed in

To Top