Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Still sounds like crap! Back to the wallet i go!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
06SR54X4BLUE is on a distinguished road

Name: Al
06SR54X4BLUE's Tacoma Gallery
Still sounds like crap! Back to the wallet i go!

Well i installed the TacoTunes Image Dynamics Components and coax's and it sounds just ok. I dont know what the JBL sounds like but any other OEM Tacoma HU just is so plain! Tip to all future up-graders maybe..... its not the speakers it the HU that needs to be done first. I wanted to try and stay OEM, but no chance in hell now. So back into my pockets i go! Just bought the Kenwood DDX418 6.1 plus Kenwood's own ipod cable, Metra dash kit and The Sound Ordnance B-8PT powered subwoofer. This shit better work, cause i am out some serious beer money here!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
I usually try focus on one audio upgrade at a time, then you can afford some quality stuff rather than trying to cram a few things into 1 budget.....just an idea...
Old 10-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
is it the extreme simplicity of stock decks or the fact they wont get stolen?

I really hated my stock cd player
Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Sprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sprink669's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalboy View Post
Man keep the factory and go with lc6i from audio control and nice 5 channel amp done will sound inredible !!

That seems just like the JL "Clean Sweep".
Old 10-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
I usually try focus on one audio upgrade at a time, then you can afford some quality stuff rather than trying to cram a few things into 1 budget.....just an idea...
That's what I did. I started with just a HU and it made a HUGE difference in sound quality even with the stock speakers. Then I added an 8 inch sub and 200w amp and now it sounds awesome! It won't set off car alarms or anything but the sound quality is def better than I started with. But I am now starting to notice some crackling from my front speakers when certain songs are on, NBD for now...... Looks like new door speakers are coming in my future.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Sprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sprink669's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's like the clean sweep but 1000x better so bad ass!! I love jl and usually have everything jl but not that one thing!!!
do you have a pic of your system?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #7

Well i should of read these before i started shelling out the dough! Especially that thing about the lc6i from audio control. My Deck has nice features, the sound is better (a little better) than my stock deck with the upgraded speakers. My 8" powerd sub is coming tomorrow, i hope it improves the sound more. I give it a 7 out of 10 in sound, maybe the sub will bump it up to 8 or 9 out of 10. Here is my picks.
Attached Thumbnails
Still sounds like crap! Back to the wallet i go!-img_2482.jpg   Still sounds like crap! Back to the wallet i go!-img_2483.jpg   Still sounds like crap! Back to the wallet i go!-img_2485.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get your metra dash kit from al?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I've taken a similar path but I have a little different opinion on the HU/Speakers. I couldn't believe how weak the midtones on the factory speakers were, so I replaced my fronts with Alpine S 6x9s. Highs and mids were improved 100% with the stock HU, but I actually lost a little bass compared to the the stockers. I was really surprised, but I chalked it up to the weak HU.

So, I've been running my stock HU with the fade set to about 4 points front and the bass set about 2+ and most of my music sounds pretty good.

My next-level steps are similar to yours - I bought the Sound Ordnanace powered sub and am agonizing over a new HU. I'm surprised you don't hear more difference before/after your HU change, but I'm hoping I hear a big difference. I think the new HU will drive the 6x9s better, and the SO sub should pack just enough low-end for me. I'm not looking to rattle anything, I just want some nice tight bass. The bass from the factory rears is there, but it's mushy, and the underpowered 6x9s up front aren't giving me much bass at all.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too disappointed, I think you're on the right track.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #10

It is a Metra I ordered it at Future Shop big electronics chain here in Canada which is owned buy Best Buy now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
Where did you get your metra dash kit from al?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #11

I here ya on this. I am not a big fan of after market decks 1 I hate changing the look of the flow of factory interior and 2 I am now locking my truck due to theft. I owned a 2006 FX4 F-150 supercab and all I needed to do was do the door speakers and put in a factory sub all this with a OEM HU and it sounded amazing. These (mine anyways) HU non JBL just has no highs mids and lows. Looking for clean rich tones. Maybe I need to ditch the components up front so I can get more mids up there. This sub better improve all this. And thanks for the great reply. Cheers Al.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I've taken a similar path but I have a little different opinion on the HU/Speakers. I couldn't believe how weak the midtones on the factory speakers were, so I replaced my fronts with Alpine S 6x9s. Highs and mids were improved 100% with the stock HU, but I actually lost a little bass compared to the the stockers. I was really surprised, but I chalked it up to the weak HU.

So, I've been running my stock HU with the fade set to about 4 points front and the bass set about 2+ and most of my music sounds pretty good.

My next-level steps are similar to yours - I bought the Sound Ordnanace powered sub and am agonizing over a new HU. I'm surprised you don't hear more difference before/after your HU change, but I'm hoping I hear a big difference. I think the new HU will drive the 6x9s better, and the SO sub should pack just enough low-end for me. I'm not looking to rattle anything, I just want some nice tight bass. The bass from the factory rears is there, but it's mushy, and the underpowered 6x9s up front aren't giving me much bass at all.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too disappointed, I think you're on the right track.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Team no taco
Cinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 9th BN 94th DIV Instructor
Name: Jose
Cinco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's like the clean sweep but 1000x better so bad ass!! I love jl and usually have everything jl but not that one thing!!!
I agree the Lc6i is a monster. The Cleansweep does do as much processing ans the audiocontrol unit. The voltage output of the ac unit alone is worth it. We used one in a raptor and the sound was fantastic. If your going the OEM route the I suggest anything from Audiocontrol. If they are to pricey then try Cache products. Quality stuff and that company is ran by Diamond Audio.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR54X4BLUE View Post
2 I am now locking my truck due to theft.
Lol, that's awesome. I love that getting the new HU now makes you lock your doors. I'd love to live where locking your doors is an option. Every door in my entire house stays locked, backed up by a nifty alarm system. The truck stays in the garage, locked, under lock and key. And I live in a smallish city (100K people). Canada is cool like that.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #14

Lol. Kida sound like Fort Knox! Ya my city has 150,000. Its pretty safe all they steal here is your snow blower and ski-doo! QUOTE=Polymerhead;3916796]Lol, that's awesome. I love that getting the new HU now makes you lock your doors. I'd love to live where locking your doors is an option. Every door in my entire house stays locked, backed up by a nifty alarm system. The truck stays in the garage, locked, under lock and key. And I live in a smallish city (100K people). Canada is cool like that.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #15

UPDATE!

Well the Sound Ordnance B-8pt made a big difference, now the bass is backed off the door speakers for that full sound i was looking for. Also i didn't know till a friend showed me that i had a 3 position adjustment for my Image Dynamics crossovers, so put them on +3. Sleeping much better knowing i didn't just spend all that money on a OK system. Thanks for the input guys. Cheers Al
Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Naptown is on a distinguished road
Naptown's Tacoma Gallery
Dont waste your money on the JBL, I had it in my Tundra and was very disappointed!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR54X4BLUE View Post
Well the Sound Ordnance B-8pt made a big difference, now the bass is backed off the door speakers for that full sound i was looking for. Also i didn't know till a friend showed me that i had a 3 position adjustment for my Image Dynamics crossovers, so put them on +3. Sleeping much better knowing i didn't just spend all that money on a OK system. Thanks for the input guys. Cheers Al
Glad it worked out. I did the same, ran everything a couple weekends ago, set my crossovers and sub gain and after a few days of tweaking it all sounds great.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Haseaboggin is on a distinguished road

Name: Casey
Haseaboggin's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stupid stereo question. I have 2 tacoma with the JBL sound and I want to upgrade the head unit but I look online and it says there are 3 different wire harnesses I need and one of them is 150 bucks. Is this true? I was hoping somebody could help me out with a part number for the wire harness and dash kit or even tell me where to go and get the right ones.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #19
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man keep the factory and go with lc6i from audio control and nice 5 channel amp done will sound inredible !!
This is the best option, if your ok with the features of the stock deck you should just add an amp with a good line output converter like the audio controll mentioned. An aftermarket deck will sound a little bit better but no where near as good as an amp
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseaboggin View Post
I have a stupid stereo question. I have 2 tacoma with the JBL sound and I want to upgrade the head unit but I look online and it says there are 3 different wire harnesses I need and one of them is 150 bucks. Is this true? I was hoping somebody could help me out with a part number for the wire harness and dash kit or even tell me where to go and get the right ones.
If you have the jbl system the one that's 150.00 is the one you need it integrates the aftermarket deck with the factory jbl amps