Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Alpine m500 vs JL 500/1

Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
chaos316 is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
chaos316's Tacoma Gallery
Alpine m500 vs JL 500/1

What's he difference between these amps and why are they so expensive?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
The JL is superior to the Alpine in virtually every category except price.

By that I mean real-world power delivered to the woofer, noise rejection circuitry, stability of power level regardless of engine off/on state, signal to noise ratio, total harmonic distortion, etc., etc.

Expensive because both are brand names that have advertising budgets to sustain as well as engineering overhead (they design their own product, not all that many do), etc.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post

By that I mean real-world power delivered to the woofer, noise rejection circuitry, stability of power level regardless of engine off/on state, signal to noise ratio, total harmonic distortion, etc., etc.

Expensive because both are brand names that have advertising budgets to sustain as well as engineering overhead (they design their own product, not all that many do), etc.
x3
Old 10-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Yes. BUT...

Can you actually hear this, using the driver it was intended for (subwoofer). While you may find a few people that say they hear the difference, the reality is, science says you cannot.

They provide rated power, at distortion levels that the human ear cannot discern (both do rated power at less than 1% THD).

The RIPS power supply that JL uses is a fantastic one, and adds another layer of flexibility to the amp. I believe power is also around 550w, but there is nothing inherently special about a "JL watt". And 50, or even 100w is well under a 1db increase in volume, so I would ignore that on either/any amp.

If budget and desire requires the JL, you will be satisfied. If budget and desire do not require the JL, the Alpine amp should provide years of solid, dependable output, with no audible differences. Especially when driving.

*disclaimer* I have owned many more JL products than Alpine. I have a pair of JL amps to go in my current install. I have had 4 of the Slash series amps, including a 500/1. As well as more expensive amps, and cheaper products. Frankly, I dont care what you use. JL is a solid company, and so are many others. But once that seat is folded up, and you are rolling down the road, no one knows what brand you have. Buy what suits your needs and budget, and as long as it is good quality, you will be smiling.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
well aim going to be using this amp in several applications probably within the next year. i have a 10w1 right now, with a small amp. but i plan to get a tw5 in the future. so there is no bi difference between these amps? I don't think i quite get what you guys are talking about

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPM...and%7cJL+Audio

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1365001...and%7cJL+Audio
Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Crutchfield is overpriced, shop around and don't be afraid to shop on ebay. Almost all of my 5K stereo system came from ebay, great deals.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Air Force:
OK, considering the Tw5 as your final config.

The JL amp will produce 500 Watts at the TW5 3-Ohm load regardless of if the engine is off, engine idling, or rev'ed up with the alternator putting out a screaming 14.4V (BTW, I never see that high of voltage in my Tacoma, but YMMV).

The Alpine will produce maybe 400 Watts at 3-Ohm load when the alternator is producing 14.4V. However, driving down the road the Alpine power will probably drop down to 250 Watts real watts.

That said, 250 Watts to 500 Watts will produce only a 3dB increase in sound levels. As a rule of thumb it would take a difference of 250 to 1000 Watts (6dB) to "sound" like it was twice as loud.

Mattg43's point is the average guy, driving down the road in the real-world will probably not be able to tell the difference between the two. Showing off your stuff in a parking lot, then the JL wins handily both in prestige and loudness - is it worth the extra $$ to you for that - only you can say.

As an aside, I've owned both Alpine and JL Audio amps - had absolutely zero problems with either.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
yea i think I'm I'm going with the alpine. just because there are quite a few on craigslist
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK, considering the Tw5 as your final config.

The JL amp will produce 500 Watts at the TW5 3-Ohm load regardless of if the engine is off, engine idling, or rev'ed up with the alternator putting out a screaming 14.4V (BTW, I never see that high of voltage in my Tacoma, but YMMV).

The Alpine will produce maybe 400 Watts at 3-Ohm load when the alternator is producing 14.4V. However, driving down the road the Alpine power will probably drop down to 250 Watts real watts.

That said, 250 Watts to 500 Watts will produce only a 3dB increase in sound levels. As a rule of thumb it would take a difference of 250 to 1000 Watts (6dB) to "sound" like it was twice as loud.

Mattg43's point is the average guy, driving down the road in the real-world will probably not be able to tell the difference between the two. Showing off your stuff in a parking lot, then the JL wins handily both in prestige and loudness - is it worth the extra $$ to you for that - only you can say.

As an aside, I've owned both Alpine and JL Audio amps - had absolutely zero problems with either.
Power at 3ohm would be a great reason for a JL, but like Lbridges said, not a huge volume difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
yea i think I'm I'm going with the alpine. just because there are quite a few on craigslist
I dont think you will be disappointed, and I think if you shop well, you wont lose any money if you decide to sell it.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
music is dynamic, you'll only see full power for split seconds in songs anyhow, unless you drive around blasting test tones.

try research some non-mainstream brands and dont pay for their (JL) marketing crapola
Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
try research some non-mainstream brands and dont pay for their (JL) marketing crapola
You seem to never pass up a chance to take a cheap shot at JL. Care to explain why?

I ask since I would take exception to your 'marketing crapola" assertion as they are (IMO) one of the most honest (specification wise) producers of equipment going.

You have previously advocated for companies such as DD - where their marketing says, "It is the goal of DD Audio to create the finest audio products possible, dedicated to the ultimate performance of the product no matter the lengths required of the design or manufacturing process." If that isn't marketing crapola, I'm needing to head back to Webster's to read that definition.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
hate to see people waste money, and DD is top of the line, so that quote is true
Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
Air Force:
Quote:
hate to see people waste money, and DD is top of the line, so that quote is true
It was a serious question, was hoping for a serious answer, but OK.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Banned
people refuse to do their own research, and in turn are consistently pointed towards JL because they're "popular" and generally people that recommend them dont know too much about whats going on in the car audio scene.

the smaller "up and coming" companies offer better equipment for a better price and you dont have to be another person running JL W series subs. ALL JL stuff is overpriced just due to the name.

JL=nike of the car audio world so much better for cheaper out there.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I had the alpine with a single type s 10" in my dodge and it sounded great
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
Air Force:
Quote:
people refuse to do their own research....
OK, but it seems a pretty poor reason to be always on one company, at least it seems to me you're always on JL, sorry if I have mis-read your intent.

One thing to point out is that the smaller companies that you advocate for don't design or build their own stuff. They turn to a design and then a Chinese build house having given out general specs. This can and does (won't mention names) result in companies using the same designer and build house by accident - I know of one case where their amps are almost identical twins.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Banned
many, many amps start out using the same pcb its the quality of the components that counts

I'll suggest sundown over almost every other company when it comes to subs and amps because he's constantly testing and tweaking every aspect of his builds, right from the ground up.

they've yet to release production speakers

im talking about companies that actually care....not jensen, boss, and stuff like that.