Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Opinions on System Setup

Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on System Setup

Edit: Just scrapped the whole first post to replace it with new. I'm putting 2 JL 10W1's and a Memphis 16PR1.500 (both already purchased) in my truck and wanted new door speakers too. I'm really stuck on what to get. My budget for speakers and an amp was $200. I'm only looking for a 2 channel amp and 5x7's for the doors (coaxials or components?)

I originally thought I would get Image Dynamic coaxials: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cs-CTX-57.html

and a MTX Thunder amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nder-702X.html

Now I don't know. There are millions of reviews and opinions and brands out there.
My second thought was these JBL's: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-GTO8608C.html

but what amp to pair with them is causing problems. heres a few I was looking at. Please give an opinion or alternative and an explanation why.

Rockford Fosgate (for JBL's): http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...te-R125-2.html

Boston Acoustics(for Image Dynamics): http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cs-GT-275.html

Massive Audio (for JBL's): http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o-V-500.2.html

RE Audio (for JBL's): http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...DTS-500.2.html

Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
personally, i prefer a pioneer HU. orion/boss... not to sure. how's their rep? good sub. trick box! im sure it'll sound great. just hope u dont kick urself in the ass if it sounds like shit. im just saying. sometime u need to spend money for the quality that u expect.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
i just got a pioneer HU. one 10in kicker n a cheap "Crunch" amp i bought from fry's. its seems to do the job. just waiting to blow out my factory ones so i have a real reason to buy all new shet. im going with Polk. had them before. great sound/product.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty satisfied with the Orions and Boss right now. They sound alright other than distorting on tracks with heavier bass and at high volumes but I blame that on not having the high pass crossover. I don't see an issue with adding the bass blockers. I have heard nothing but good things about the JL's and the Memphis amp so I'm not worried about that. If the RCA adapters allow a quality signal to reach the amps I think I'll be good. My main concern is the subs will overpower the mids/highs now.

On a side note my brother has a 98 extended cab and just wanted bass so I ended up putting in a cheap 12 with an inexpensive headunit and amp. I also put bass blockers in the doors hoping it would keep him from trashing the stock speakers when he cranked it up. I think it sounds decent for what it is.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you have it all figured out now and the only thing I might suggest is a REMOTE LEVEL CONTROL for the sub amp so you can turn it down if a song causes the bass to over power the mids/highs.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
What you have lined out will work. Bass Blockers will have a 6db/octave roll-off, so you will be down 6db at 100hz (using the ones listed). I would say that would be safe, for general use. You will lose a bit of midbass, but should prevent the distortion. I would probably try my crossover for the subs up around 100-125hz, see how that sounds with it. Dont be afraid to experiment with that point.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'm going to have to read up on tuning before I put the subs in.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

Memphis PR1.500 came yesterday. Looks like I'm committed to the build this time
Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #9

bump for new ideas and opinions
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #10

bump
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
The difference in quality between the products you have listed will be nominal. Since you have an amp, efficiency is less important. I would try to listen to them and see if you like one over the other, and enjoy the upgrade.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
The difference in quality between the products you have listed will be nominal. Since you have an amp, efficiency is less important. I would try to listen to them and see if you like one over the other, and enjoy the upgrade.
So theres no difference in those Image Dynamics and the JBL's? Not even because 1 sets coaxials and the others component? I hooked up the subs I bought in my brothers truck just to see how they sound and I'm kinda worried 2 doors speakers is going to be overwhelmed by that much bass.