Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sub help??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
Sub help??

Alright, before I get started I'm going to apologize for the noob question. I know almost nothing at all about sound systems, definitely not my specialty, so I'm hoping someone can help me. I would like a little more bass in my truck, so I was looking on craigslist for something fairly cheap but would sound decent. Not looking to spend a lot of money. I know some people will disagree with me but I am not looking for a real nice system, just sub/amp that will produce a little more bass and more full sound, while being able to keep both back seats usable (access cab). Here are some I found on CL. Are all of these complete crap or is there anything decent here? Or what else would anybody recommend?

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/2634766942.html

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/2663502807.html

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/2661833374.html

Again, sorry if this has been answered lots of times, I did some searching and didn't find exactly what I needed but feel free to post a link. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
YoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant futureYoaterBoater has a brilliant future

Name: Jason
YoaterBoater's Tacoma Gallery
If I were you, I would go with the second link. One 12 with a 1000 watt amp will give you plenty of bass. That amp looks to be in rough condition though but then again you still wont be spending much if you get a new amp considering youre getting the setup for $50
Old 10-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Your best bet as well as what I did would be to go to an audio store and tell them what you want, tell them to write this down and then you can get that system cheaper by buying it on amazon or eBay. Good luck tho
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
chip01822 is on a distinguished road

Name: chip
chip01822's Tacoma Gallery
Out of the three I'd go with the audiobahn I've had nothing but good expierences with them they sound awesome and hit hard. As for the Phoenix gold I don't know much about
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Bartle Do Member
MXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith Stone
MXscott14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
Your best bet as well as what I did would be to go to an audio store and tell them what you want, tell them to write this down and then you can get that system cheaper by buying it on amazon or eBay. Good luck tho
+1, and buy new, buying used audio is like sleeping with you sister. unless you know the person selling it and what its been through
Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak for Pioneer subs, but I'd rule the first one out, for the sole fact that your looking at 500watts trying to push 2 12's so thats a no go.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
The best system you linked would probably be the first one. IMO none are that good. Save up some money and do it right the first time. If you want something that will come all in one package get like a Kenwood Bass Package. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_7002581...h=Kenwood+bass
Or if you want to save more space get like a 10" Kicker L series with a good amp.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoaterBoater View Post
If I were you, I would go with the second link. One 12 with a 1000 watt amp will give you plenty of bass. That amp looks to be in rough condition though but then again you still wont be spending much if you get a new amp considering youre getting the setup for $50
Thanks for the help, what decently priced amp would you recommend to power that sub then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey05Taco View Post
That's a really good point, I guess I could get a better feel for what I need that way instead of going at this completely blind Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip01822 View Post
Out of the three I'd go with the audiobahn I've had nothing but good expierences with them they sound awesome and hit hard. As for the Phoenix gold I don't know much about
Thanks, do you think one 10 is plenty of bass and a good sound? Or would you recommend something else?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXscott14 View Post
+1, and buy new, buying used audio is like sleeping with you sister. unless you know the person selling it and what its been through
I realize I'd be taking a risk, but is there no way to tell the true condition of the system before installing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
I can't speak for Pioneer subs, but I'd rule the first one out, for the sole fact that your looking at 500watts trying to push 2 12's so thats a no go.
Alright thanks, that's the kind of advice I need because I'm clueless haha. What would be an appropriate wattage to push that kind of setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
The best system you linked would probably be the first one. IMO none are that good. Save up some money and do it right the first time. If you want something that will come all in one package get like a Kenwood Bass Package. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_7002581...h=Kenwood+bass
Or if you want to save more space get like a 10" Kicker L series with a good amp.
I'm just not 100% sure if I want to drop that kind of money on a system yet, still trying to decide what I really want. That's the main reason I'm looking at cheap/used stuff, otherwise I'd spend more on something that would last a long time.

Also, I would like to save a little more space. I just looked at the kicker l7....looks like I'd be spending about 250-300 for just the sub? Is that right? That's a little more than I'm looking to spend.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord552 View Post
One good quality 10in is more then enough for an accescab. And sounds better then 12's IMO
That's kind of what I was thinking...I don't need something thats gonna rattle parts off my truck haha
Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorComa View Post
Alright thanks, that's the kind of advice I need because I'm clueless haha. What would be an appropriate wattage to push that kind of setup?
It really depends on the subs, all the specs that are with them. I've got 2 Rockford 10's with a Rockford 1000watt pushing them. I have them bridged to where both subs are receiving 1000watts instead of just 500watts a piece. But like I said, it all depends on the subs and brand of amp.

The statement of looking of Amazon isn't a bad idea. And Eddie is right, and I agree with him, 10s sound a lot cleaner IMO.

A buddy on mine had 2 MTX 12's in a 88 Camaro, and they hit so hard in that little space that it felt like your head was in a fog even when you got out of the car. After about a week his whole dash rattled due to all the vibration.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
If i was you id save up and get this, you will be happier in the long run. More then enough bass and sound super clean as long as you have the right box. I think its the best bang for you buck

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SWR-1023D.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-MRP-M500.html
Thanks, that's actually not quite as expensive as I would have expected.

I was just thinking I might be able to save some money by building my own sub box, which would let me spend a little more on the system itself. It seems like it would be fairly simple, but is it difficult to get a clean sound out of a homemade box? I was just wondering how much little factors in the construction would affect the sound.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
That's a fact Jack!

Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
If you have any questions about boxes and what not PM Mr Marv.

Again, Eddie is right, having the right box is key. You can have an awesome sub, and a shitty box and the sound be crap.

I have a Memphis 10" in my car, nice sub, bangs very well, (buddy of mine had same sub in his truck and it hit real hard), anyway we have the same sub right? So they should sound the same right? Wrong, he had a nice box, I had a tube. With a straight through port that allowed now compression to the sub so it provided no bass. So you will for sure want to build the box right the first time and make sure you get it all right.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
A box is the most important part IMO, it needs to be perfect. All subs have certain air space specs, so you need to build your box to those specs. Also assuming you would make a sealed box, you need to make sure its 100% sealed, you will hear every air leak ifs its not.

so the two important factors-
1. air space
2. 100% sealed (if your builded a sealed box)
Heres a pic of my box i made. (also the same set up as i posted above)

Okay thanks for all the help, I'm learning a lot! I guess I'll definitely have to do some more research on the box. Just found this on ebay....how does it look to you and what is the difference in the swr-1023D you posted and this swr-1043D?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-SWR-1...ht_1776wt_1163

And amp...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-MRP-M...#ht_500wt_1413
Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
That's a fact Jack!

Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
What Eddie said. I noticed that the sub is located in FL, and you're in FL. Contact that person and see if you can physically go look at it and check if it works, they might knock a couple bucks off if you pick it up yourself.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
the one i posted is 2 ohms, the other is 4.

Notice how the amp says 500 watts at 2 ohms or 300w at 4 ohms. So if you run a 4 ohm sub on that amp it will be running 300w rms.

Be careful buying used electronics..especially audio, one of my amps was used and it worked fine, But it can be risky
Okay so then I would be getting much less output from a 4 ohm sub than a 2 ohm with the same amp

I understand it can be risky, I just really don't have a ton of money to spend on a system. I'm kind of trying to decide between buying used higher quality equipment, or more new equipment that may not be quite as good of a brand name.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope953 View Post
What Eddie said. I noticed that the sub is located in FL, and you're in FL. Contact that person and see if you can physically go look at it and check if it works, they might knock a couple bucks off if you pick it up yourself.
I'm still looking around but that's what I was planning on doing if I were to decide on that. I am also pretty iffy on buying anything blind. If only you could trust people...
Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #18

Can you set up pretty much any sub/amp combination, as far as brands go? Also, which is more important, the sub or the amp? For example, would it be better to spend more money on a nice new amp or the speaker itself? I would plan on upgrading the other once I saved some more money, I'm just trying to keep this fairly inexpensive.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
in the past i had a pioneer amp and 2 12" pioneer subs with a kenwood HU in a ranger ext cab. mixing brand? didnt see a downside. 2 12''s in an access cab? too much. 1 10 would be more than enough.. possibly a 12 but 10's usually sound better anyway. quality of both is important but the sub would probably deteriorate b4 the amp.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
in the past i had a pioneer amp and 2 12" pioneer subs with a kenwood HU in a ranger ext cab. mixing brand? didnt see a downside. 2 12''s in an access cab? too much. 1 10 would be more than enough.. possibly a 12 but 10's usually sound better anyway. quality of both is important but the sub would probably deteriorate b4 the amp.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping, and yeah I think I've decided on 1 10, due to sound and space. I'm not looking for something that rattles your bones haha, just some good sound, and I want to keep both back seats usable.

Products Discussed in this Thread