1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feedback on a recent experience with Alpine Service

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by lbridges, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    lbridges

lbridges [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    I thought I would relate an experience I had recently with Alpine, and see how forum members react.

First let me say I have owned a variety of Alpine products over the years, high end CD players (dead head type), various amplifiers, component speakers, and two (2) PXE-H660 digital processors.

On to my story, which concerns one of the PXE-H660 sound processors. I swapped out some tweeters in the Tacoma, so I of course had to re-run the processor setup utility (for those who don't know, the 660 measures your system response and electronically applies 512 channels of equalization as well as time alignment, and in my case is also an active crossover box).

As soon as I pressed the reset button (needed before performing the calibration run), the display died and the system refused to respond (yes I checked the obvious like fuses, etc.). Since this was in my Tacoma and I run an active system, I had to swap out the 660 with the other one I own. That one is in and working.

So I sent the box off to Alpine's authorized service center (United Radio). About two weeks ago they telephoned and said they could not repair, and were forwarding to Alpine for factory repair/replacement. I got a call Friday that a determination had been made that the unit failed because of something I did. Since I fail to see how pressing a reset button can cause that (I've pressed it maybe 20 times before, mostly as I learned to use the system) I was/am more than a little disturbed with Alpine.

Their response was to offer me a replacement for $40 off list price, which I rejected, and asked for the dead box to be returned. Maybe should mention in this whole process I never got to speak with an Alpine employee, nor was I offered a contact when I complained about the incident.

I am asking for your help in trying to determine a method that would enable me to regain the faith I've had in Alpine over the years - barring that they have received their last dollars they will ever see from me, or any of the people in my area who I advise on system purchases.

I bought the product from a local dealer, so I will be going in and complaining to them, but honestly, their Alpine stock is in decline and they lost their JL Audio line, so my guess is they aren't far from closing their doors and may be of little or no help.

Your ideas welcomed.

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    atvlifestyle

atvlifestyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    01 trd tacoma
    supercharged with MCM front kit
    Your best bet is going be to go through the dealer you purchased it from. Sounds like you have spent enough money there that they should be able to vouch for you and get it taking care of. If they cant do it get the info of there Rep for the distributor and explain all the alpine products you have and everything above to him.

Since the internet sales and big box can sell alpine now they dont warranty as easy as they use to.

3. Nov 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    lbridges

lbridges [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    UPDATE (mostly becuase I hate it when the loop never gets closed).

OK, so my dealer was of no help. United Radio Service (Alpine's East Coast repair facility) helped only to the extent of giving me Alpine's customer Service number.

After speaking with an Alpine rep for a few minutes, he said they will cover the cost of getting me a rebuilt unit. Assuming that goes as planned, I will take back any rant that you may have detected above, and jump on board the Alpine service bandwagon.

Products Discussed in

To Top