Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Installing Of Speakers + Amp to Factory Deck

Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Silver Member
SilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
SilverBullet07's Tacoma Gallery
Post Installing Of Speakers + Amp to Factory Deck

Introduction:

Hello all, This thread will show the installation process of speakers and an amp to the amazing factory deck... with some help of Mr. Marv of course. Yes, I know that many people believe that in order to improve the stock Tacoma stereo they must remove the factory deck and put in an aftermarket deck. However I am trying to keep the stock look for now since it is easier on my wallet and just do everything else first.

Tools:

-Philips Screw Driver
-Wire Stripper
-Ratchet Set
-Wire Connectors

Links To Pages Used:

Mr. Marvs Double Cab Audio Installation Instructions

Installation Process:

I'm not going to waste my time by including a step my step process to every component of this install because they all ready exist. If you would like to see a step by step installation of removing door panels, running wire, running RCA cables and installing baffles click on Mr. Marv's link above because he explains a basic set up for a double cab.What I will show you is how to hook up an aftermarket amp to the stock stereo deck.

Step 1: Unplug The Car Battery
Disclaimer: If you are not comfortable with any of the steps outlined in this DIY then do not attempt this project. That said I can not be responsible for any damage that occurs to your truck as a result of following the information contained within this thread.

Step 2: Remove Stock Head Unit
If you don't know how to remove the head unit I would follow these steps from taco tunes its fairly easy.

Once you have the head unit out your dash will have the following harnesses exposed.

The top two harnesses on the left that are circled are the ones that you will have to splice and add both RCA 4 and 2 channel converters. If you plan on someday hooking up your stock speakers again when you sell it I would splice the cables instead of cutting them completely so you can use them later if you want.

Step 2: Wire RCA Converters
So using the table below you can label on your converters which wire they will be tapping into so they are compatible with the stock head unit. My 2 channel RCA converter goes to my sub-woofers and it is hooked up to one of the rear speaker signal's from the head unit. (Rear right to be exact)

Here's what my 4 channel RCA converter looked like before I started.

Wire Color Table

Converters all attached: I had my RCA that was going to my Sub Amplifier run down the center console so that I could put my base knob in the armrest. My other RCA's for my 4-channel amp went down the passanger side and under the carpet to the door jam so it could be hidden.

Step 3: Place Factory Stereo Back In
The only hard part I had was there wasn't much room so it took some time to get the deck to just slide in. *I would recommend not to bolt the Deck in till everything is working properly.*

Success?
If you properly hooked up your amplifier and correctly wired the converters you should now be able to send a signal from your factory stereo to your aftermarket amplifiers so you can power your speakers!

Random Pictures During The Install:

Baffles and Speakers all wired and Installed in the passenger side door.

Removed Passenger Seat for more Wiring Room

I realize I didn't take as many helpful pictures as I wanted so If anyone wants to see anything or know something in particular let me know! Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
htowntaco23 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
htowntaco23's Tacoma Gallery
How long have you had your subs in? Or are you just putting them in? Because what i have seen people do is remove the plastic on the back of the seat so that it does not rattle or make noise when the sub hits
Old 10-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Silver Member
SilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I've had my subs in for two years... There is no rattling that I hear.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Silver Member
*Just ended up buying a KICKER 8-Guage/AWG 4-Channel Amp Wiring Install Kit off ebay a little more than I wanted to spend but everything comes together and I know its a good brand.*

Complete 8 Gauge Z-Series 4-Channel Amplifier Installation Kit
  • 500 Watts max
  • Direct-connect engineering
  • Fewer connections for less signal distortion
  • Twisted-pair technology eliminates noise for crystal clear sound
  • Hyper-flex cable and wire
  • Full spec cable is true to gauge
  • 20 ft. (6.1m) Blue 8 AWG power wire
  • 3 ft. (0.9m) Black 8 AWG ground wire
  • 20 ft. (6.1m) Blue 18 AWG remote lead wire
  • 16.4 ft. (5m) Blue, black, and gray 4 Channel RCA cable
  • 60 ft. (18.3m) Blue and gray 16 AWG speaker cable
  • (1) Kicker 09FHS Fuse holder with 50 amp AFS fuse
  • Black rubber firewall grommet
  • (2) 8AWG Spade terminals
  • (5) 18AWG Spade terminals
  • (4) Female quick disconnect connectors
  • Black zip ties
  • Red butt connector
Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Silver Member
Finally received everything I will need to begin the installation. Hopefully I finish that this weekend and I will have some picture of the install in case anyone ever wants to go this route.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Sprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sprink669's Tacoma Gallery
I am planning on the basically the same thing but I am going to look into the audio control LC6i controller. Can't wait to see the install pics? Did you get any sound deadener for the doors?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Silver Member
Sound deadener will probably happen this winter when I have more money (Get my tax money back). I looked into getting it from RAmmaudio, they quoted me a pretty damn good price but for now I must wait.

Install starts today.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Silver Member
Allright got a question... looking at my amp kit and I noticed that the fuse box isn't connected to the wire. Do I just cut the kicker wire where I want to put the fuse. I always though these came connected. Any help will be appreciated.. Im pretty sure this is what you do just not trying to mess up.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Silver Member
Updated. Not sure if its as detailed as I though I was gonna make it but sure damn hard to take pictures of everything done. I still need some finished pictures of both amps.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
2012 DCLB
gsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Yeoman
Name: Douglas
gsxrdoug's Tacoma Gallery
Great post used it last night to install my sub to my Stock HU.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrdoug View Post
Great post used it last night to install my sub to my Stock HU.
Glad it helped someone!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
Kozzmosis is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
Kozzmosis's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, I was looking to leave the stock speakers wired up to the factory head unit on my 08 taco, but would like to install an amp/sub. Do they make a specific type of RCA converter that will allow me to do this?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
tagged for if i go the rca/splice route or get a DSP by RF or JBL.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzmosis View Post
Hey, I was looking to leave the stock speakers wired up to the factory head unit on my 08 taco, but would like to install an amp/sub. Do they make a specific type of RCA converter that will allow me to do this?
For my sub I used a RCA converter and just hooked it into one of the rear speakers and hooked up the amp from there.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Silverbullet....do you notice any signal loss due to the RCA splices? I think true audiophiles would be butthurt about not having the "right" signal delivery to the speakers.

I think I am going this route as its $20 as opposed to $350+ in order to keep my h/u. Just wondering if you had to do it over again with an extra 400, would you get the Digital Signal processor as opposed to the RCA converters?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
Silver Member
Well I always planned on buying a aftermarket headunit in the future. It sounds way better than stock and I dont notice much about lose signal quality.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
Policy Ninja

ah, thanks. I doubt I'll ever get an aftermarket head, so Im just kicking around my options to add a sub/amp and better speakers.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Silver Member
Well if you don't like it you can always go the other route.... only gonna cost you around $20-$30 bucks depending on what RCA converter you go with.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
OneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud of

OneMentalCase's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
Aight
sernaj64 is on a distinguished road
Name: Juan
sernaj64's Tacoma Gallery
subd