Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Modding the supercrewsound box

Old 10-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
chaos316 is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
chaos316's Tacoma Gallery
Modding the supercrewsound box

I don't want to cut any brackets, so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to mod the box from supercrewsound.com. Maybe drill a 2-3" hole or use a jigsaw to make it fit, then patch it back up on the inside using a few pieces of mdf.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Hole saw
Find appropriate size plastic cup
Seal over hole by any means possible.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
You don't think it wouldn't hurt the way the sub sounds?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
No, it wont mess with the sound. make sure your sub will fit with the modifications.

I would probably do the hole saw, then cover with a square piece of 1/2" MDF if it will fit.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

How much space is needed for the protrusion into the box? Meaning, how far in is that metal piece needing to go?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
I don't want to cut any brackets, so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to mod the box from supercrewsound.com. Maybe drill a 2-3" hole or use a jigsaw to make it fit, then patch it back up on the inside using a few pieces of mdf.
What do you think you have to cut to mount it anyways? I have the a SCS box in my 09 and did not need to cut anything.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
I figured he was talking about the little bump out where the plastic bins attach, about 3/4 of an inch...

OP, got a pic?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
I figured he was talking about the little bump out where the plastic bins attach, about 3/4 of an inch...

OP, got a pic?
That's probably it, but those don't need to be removed unless you have some excursion interference problems and/or removing/trimming the seatback plastic is not an option.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
I'm talking about the several separate brackets that come up about 3/4" that bolt the storage plastic pieces up to the cab
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
I'm talking about the several separate brackets that come up about 3/4" that bolt the storage plastic pieces up to the cab
ABOUT 3/4" or is it exactly 3/4"? Measure it.....really, go do it now.

If it's 3/4" then just use a hole saw or a jig saw to punch out an area that's that size (assuming the thickness of the box is 3/4"). Then do as Matt said and just glue a small piece of wood over it. If it's bigger than 3/4" then you'll need a bubble or something more creative.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
ABOUT 3/4" or is it exactly 3/4"? Measure it.....really, go do it now.

If it's 3/4" then just use a hole saw or a jig saw to punch out an area that's that size (assuming the thickness of the box is 3/4"). Then do as Matt said and just glue a small piece of wood over it. If it's bigger than 3/4" then you'll need a bubble or something more creative.
Good advice if you want to fix it for real, but the box fits nicely without removing those brackets. Might want to try the fit first and check for box and sub clearance before you start cutting on the box itself.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
I haven't even ordered the box yet. Just seeing if it would be a good idea. Il go ahead and order it
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
bigswoleone is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
bigswoleone's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered the supercrewsound single 10" box and am using a Polk MM1040. The mounting depth of the sub is only 4.5" and it doesn't quite fit due to the indention in the back of the box that is cut out for the raised piece of sheet metal that runs across the back wall of the truck.

Anybody know what I can do to make it fit.

So far, I think my options are:
1) take a dremel tool and shave some of the wood off the back of the box (from the inside of the box). probably would need to shave a piece of a couple of inches wide and about 1/4" deep.
2) use some sort of spacer of the outside of the box to make the sub sit a little further away from the box itself. If I do this what would be the best material to use. Once again I need about 3/16" to 1/4" clearance.

Thanks.