Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Amps installed but no power to speakers

Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Amps installed but no power to speakers

Driving me crazy. I have a 4ch amp and a mono amp. The 4ch amp is wired to my front door speakers via speakers wires i ran. Mono amp wired to sub. I'm using a pioneer avh-p2300 headunit which has 2 rca outputs (fl,fr) and (swl,swr). Have everything wired up both amps have power/14 volts running to them. But i Cant get sound to my sub or speakers!! Using a mulitimeter i get no power out of either amp's speaker outputs. What gives???
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with my amp. Went back and checked all my connections and ended up removing it from the truck. Put the amp back in a half hour later and it's been fine since then.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttran View Post
I had the same problem with my amp. Went back and checked all my connections and ended up removing it from the truck. Put the amp back in a half hour later and it's been fine since then.
That's weird..i've like re-checked everything 5 times...still nothing from either amp. Only sound i get is from the stock rear speakers. Ruined my night
Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked your power sources, or your fuses? How is your grounding point, did you ground to bare metal? Power to the amp via wire hooked to the battery? Are the wires hooked up properly, ie + from battery into + on the amp and vice versa for grounding wire. You've got the speaker wires hooked up right?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
is your remote wire connected?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
If nothing else set your MM to Ohms and check for continuity in the positive and negative of the amp then do the same for the speaker hook up points. Your head unit is set to run the amp isn't it? Maybe you criss crossed the RCA's or the high inputs. All stuff that has happened to me. It's easy to make a mistake with all those wires.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #8

All the above done. Amp's turn on fine...just not sending any power out of the speaker outputs. And if the remote wire wasn't connected the amps wouldnt turn on. Has to be a problem with the rca's not sending anything to either of the amps...have no idea why that would be though.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Get an rca cable that you can hook up an ipod/mp3 player to and plug it straight into your amp instead of through the head unit. This way you'll be able to narrow your search down. It could be the amp.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
yea firs thought was remote wire. borrow a friends amp, and see if it works, if it does then u know its your amp, it prolly is faulty, if the amp doesnt work, then its your rca's. first, double check your rca's in the headunit, i know its easy to pull them out on accident when installing it into the dash. lastly, check your amps fuses. my buddy got a jl 4 channel through ebay one time and the fuses in it were already blown
Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #11

I just had the mono amp hooked up to another system last week, I know it works. This pioneer hu is confusing as far as outputs are concerned. I swear everything is set up right...I have the hu pulled out and went over the wiring a bunch of damn times. Frustrated as hell.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #12

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking your rca's
Old 10-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #13

I have like 3 pairs of rca's that I tried on each amp...none of them changed the outcome. Looked over my HU manual a bunch too to see if my HU isn't sending the output to the amp. Can't find any setting like such though.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #14

ttran's Tacoma Gallery
I'm able to turn my sub on/off with my HU while the amp remains on. Maybe your HU has something along the lines of that?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #15

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual011111.pdf

Pg 52 talks about the sub output and "rear output". Aka the output my mono amps rca's are plugged in to. The manual doesn't mention anything about the front rca outputs.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
saitcho is on a distinguished road
saitcho's Tacoma Gallery
Did you double check that you have the speakers wired? I've definitely put a speaker in a door before and forgotten to actually hook up the wires!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitcho View Post
Did you double check that you have the speakers wired? I've definitely put a speaker in a door before and forgotten to actually hook up the wires!
Lol yeah man...the problem wasn't on my end. The damn amp didnt work in the first place...hooked a multimeter to the oututs and nothing. Sonic electronix refunded me and I got a rockford fosgate amp instead. All is well now.