Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

1st gen Head Unit suggestions/install help

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen Head Unit suggestions/install help

Hey all,

Interested in buying a head unit for my taco. Any recommendations for a decently priced head unit (less than $75)? I'm no audiophile, but I want something better than stock that I can plug in AUX instead of using a cassette adapter. Also, are there any threads that have detailed install instructions for 1st gen? Thanks! Oh, and I would like it all to be from Amazon.com since I have about $130 in gift cards there.

I have been looking at head units, and found these that have great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1WRTEG7T8P2CK

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC248...6305981&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-13...6305981&sr=1-7

I want something around those price ranges, so if you have any other suggestions, that would be great.

I want to also change the front and rear speakers, I don't quite have the money for subs and amp (will do later down the road)

I don't really know what to look for in speakers, all I know (I think) is that they are 6x8", correct me if I'm wrong.)

These have pretty good reviews, but it says they don't fit my truck?

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL683BL-6...ar=1&carId=001

I don't know anything really about them, I saw that there are component, coax, 2-way and 3-way and many other kinds. I'm not looking for top-of-the-line, I just want ones that sound better than stock, and have more bass than stock so I don't have to buy subs. If you can recommend some, that would be awesome. I'd like for the whole setup (head unit + speakers) to be under $150. I know it's low, but I'm no audiophile, and I'm on a budget.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I have a pioneer premier that I need to get rid of. Model DEH-660. Its an older radio but they have really good sound quality and control. 6 channel output. I had a harness as well, but donno if I brought it with me in the move.

I'll do 65 shipped if you want.

EDIT oh btw, I do have the aux input plug for it too.... I loved the radio, just didn't have bluetooth, without spending an arm and a leg.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I also have an alpine Type S 10" DVC sub and JL JX 250/1 amplifier (only used for a few weeks) to get rid of if you are interested. 250 shipped package deal for all....
Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bumping for help
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have an ipod? If so i highly recommend getting a unit with a USB port and ipod control. Lets you charge your Ipod and control it from the head unit. Or just charge and control it via ipod all while playing music.

I HIGHLY recommend Pioneer stuff man. I like them a lot, very well built units where the buttons aren't cheap and pop off. Good sound quality as well. WAY WAY better then the Kenwood you posted.

as for speakers, just get 2 way or 3 way. Once you add a sub you'll add a HPF to them and they will only play highs/mids anyways. anything more then just a woofer mid ranger driver and tweeter is a marketing scam. 4 and 5 way speakers are pointless.

im not totally sure what size of speaker your truck takes Sorry i can't help there...mine help 5 1/4s all the way around..so idk..

Those Pyles are pretty cheap..but they will be better then stock..i don't really like Pyle stuff but whatever man haha The biggest part that will make the biggest difference is getting a 4 way amp to amp the speakers from the head unit. The head unit will only put out 20-24w RMS at most per channel. Your speakers are 180w RMS..so your way under powered. You will want to amp them when you get a sub anyways to get the most out of the system and to balance well with a sub. But if you can't get one now, it'll be fine. But an amp will make the speakers sound much better.

I reommend checking out Sony, Infinity, Alpine speakers. I have a pair of Kickers that a awesome as well and i highly recommend all the above companies as i have seen and heard them all in person.

Also check out sonicelectronix.com. Much better place with better info and review...and maybe prices too.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Rhino is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Rhino's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt find any detailed thread when i installed mine but all you do is remove the climate control knobs, pop that plate off with a flat head screwdriver, remove the screws holding the dash in up there, go down to the ash tray, remove it, there is another screw behind it holding the dash in, remove this screw as well then go to the very top of the dash and begin popping it off, after this you should be able to see the screws holding in the stock head unit, remove them and take the brackets off the radio, then attach the brackets to the side of your dash kit and aftermarket radio and it should be a perfect bolt back on

and im not sure about the stock sizes either but i put 6.5s in my door and they screwed into the stock holes even though they werent the same size, my backseat i put in 6x9s which were WAY bigger than stock so i had to build a custom place to mount them, so im thinkin its gonna be more like 5x7 for your stock size
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get the Kenwood out of the one's you posted. I'd recommend something like a Kenwood KDCX395 the reason why is because it has dedicated 4v subwoofer pre-amp outputs, I have this HU and have had it for 4 years and still love it. For speakers stock size is 6x9 but I bought some and had to cut the back of the basket out to make it fit as the stock speakers are a lot shallower than an aftermarket speaker. If you buy a speaker from crutchfield.com they will send you the mounting material needed to mount any speaker you want. If you plan on running the speakers off of Head unit power then try to find something that has a high sensitivity. I'd stay away from Pyle audio I've heard some of their stuff and you get what you pay for. I have kicker DS60's in my doors and they are great they can keep up with my subs without a problem off of hu power because they are 90db sensitivity.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
i dont know why you ordered that stuff. when i put the deck in my last truck the brackets for the stock deck fit right on the new deck and bolted back in the same spot. I guess if you want a harness go for it but i just cut the wires from the factory harness and connected them to the wires out of the after market deck.
Why did I order a dash kit? Because there will be a huge gaping hole in the console without it... the factory stereo is a double din, and I ordered a single din... And the wiring harness was cheap, and it's a good backup in case I mess something up.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Why did I order a dash kit? Because there will be a huge gaping hole in the console without it... the factory stereo is a double din, and I ordered a single din... And the wiring harness was cheap, and it's a good backup in case I mess something up.
That's exactly what most of us do, OP. I installed very similar (if not identical) components with my aftermarket HU, and I'm very happy with the result.

Products Discussed in this Thread