1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 JBL to 2009 JBL Upgrade Compatible?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jax, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    Jax

Jax [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 Pre-runner
    I'm new here but I did do at least 10 searches on TW and on google without finding this specific answer.

I have a 2006 JBL HU and want to switch it out to a 2009 JBL HU that has the "AM-SAT" button that mine doesn't. Is this just a simple switch with all wiring working and dash will be identical or are there differences I should be aware of? I did read on several threads that a non-jbl cannot go to a JBL without a bunch of work. I have the isimple unit that is supposed to work with a JBL system as long as it has the "AM-SAT" button which is why I cam considering making the change.

Thanks!

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I replied to your PM but now that I know you are using an isimple (I am assuming the gateway) I know for a fact that will work with the 2009+ JBL HU because that is what I have. Here is my thread on how to upgrade the firmware on the isimple if it has not been done already.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...way-now-compatible-xm-factory-head-units.html

Now you mentioned that you are not interested in using the bluetooth function on the newer head unit so are you upgrading because you think you need to so you can run your isimple? Just so you know I used my isimple on my 2005 jbl head unit just fine with out having to update the firmware. I guess I am just missing the point, if its XM you want then you will still need to install a XM antenna. Just about the only thing you will gain from swapping your head unit is the ability to play mp3 and wma cd's. Unless you are interested in the bluetooth I don't really see the point.

Just to clarify, the head units are interchangeable as long as you have the older JBL system. It just gets a little more complicated if you try to gain any of the other functions like bluetooth, xm, or aux input from the newer head unit.

3. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    Jax

Jax [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 Pre-runner
    Thanks FB, you are the Best!!

So I thought I had to do the upgrade since my JBL didn't have the "AM-SAT" button like the isimple had on the box. After reading your post I called isimple tech support and he told me how to do the firmware update so mine would work. It took about 20 minutes on a slow computer (kids windows based computer since firmware isn't mac compatible).

While it was updating I pulled my HU and as soon as it was done, I plugged in the isimple again and it works perfectly. I can listen to my iPhone or Sirius through the iPhone app.

Thanks again for your help and saving me some money. I sent you back a PM too.

Products Discussed in

To Top