Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Need help choosing a head unit dash kit for 2012 Tacoma.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
west is on a distinguished road

Name: West
west's Tacoma Gallery
Need help choosing a head unit dash kit for 2012 Tacoma.

Has anyone replaced the stock head unit in a 2012 yet? If so does a 2011 dash kit work? I am trying to install a Kenwood KIV BT901 single din head unit in place of the factory unit and cannot find a 2012 kit.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Pretty damn sure they're all the same. The only thing different is the radio itself.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
jvand678 is on a distinguished road
jvand678's Tacoma Gallery
I'm waiting for an actual color matched kit to hit the shelves but will try my old kit in my 2012 tonight or tmw and confirm fit.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
75PSI or bust!
xmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmadcowx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
xmadcowx's Tacoma Gallery
I just put my deck in this weekend using a Scosche kit. It clips in just fine, but the lines are different. So there is a gap towards the bottom on each side, and the top tapers in faster than the surround. Bottom line, it works for now, but I will be buying a kit made for the 2012 if/when they are manufactured.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
johnnyman1 is on a distinguished road
johnnyman1's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates on the 2012 dash kit. Metra said they were the same as the 2011 but have heard different from other sources. I am new here,, thanks for having me.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
I just (a few weeks ago) put a deck in my 06 with a Metra kit, despite the advice of nearly everyone on this site telling me to spend the extra money for a scoshe kit. I actually got a silver metra kit, with the dimples and all that looked pretty decent at first. Since then, the silver paint has started to scrap off in a couple areas, likely my fault there as much as anything else with my iphone mount kinda in the way.

The bigger problem with the Metra kit is the radio mount sucks ass. I'll be picking up a scosche kit before too long.

@Madcow - any chance you can take some photos and throw them up in here so we can see what you're talking about?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Just spoke to Scosche. They said it is different than the 2011. They said the 2012 dash kit just went into tooling. Early next year is the ETA.

Meta said its the same dash. !?!?!?!?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #8

west's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed my new unit today with the 2011 taco tunes kit. It fits perfect.

http://shop.tacotunes.com/Toyota-Tac...CO-DASH1-T.htm
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
West, would you be able to post a pic of your dash kit installed. It fits in fine but I cannot get my contour lines to match very well. If you have time I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #10

west's Tacoma Gallery

Now that you mention it, it doesn't fit completely flush but works good enough for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #11
Thanks for the pics West. Yours fits a little bit better than my DD does,, but its about the same. You are right ,, good enough for now. I will just swap mine out when the re-tooled ones come out "early next year". Thanks for posting the pics so fast. much appreciated. John