Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Are there any red head units?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Are there any red head units?

I'm interested in upgrading my stereo but the head units I've seen in the stores seem to all have blue backlighting. Everything else in the truck is red at night and I'd like to try to match that look. Years ago I had one that had user selectable backlighting but I can't find anything like that now. Is there a manufacturer out there that still uses red?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Banned
robsatx is on a distinguished road
robsatx's Tacoma Gallery

Check out the alpine 9884.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Doomsday Squad
Swwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the rough

Swwacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Swwacoma
Sony makes some, I've had them in the past...but then again its Sony and quality is called into question.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsatx View Post
Check out the alpine 9884.

I saw this or one similiar to it at Tweeter. Those 6 bright buttons on the left kill it for me... The white backlit numbers almost as offensive.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
Banned
robsatx is on a distinguished road
robsatx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I saw this or one similiar to it at Tweeter. Those 6 bright buttons on the left kill it for me... The white backlit numbers almost as offensive.
Sorry man! I tried, BTW I think a lot of manufacturers have gone to this BIO Lite display (white).
Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post

that's the HU i am running

you can switch the blue lights to red.... i prefer the blue...

Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
falco is on a distinguished road

falco's Tacoma Gallery
A few other options.... I found these at www.sonicelectronix.com/ , a few members did mention they were unhappy with this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Are there any red head units?-ida-x300.jpg   Are there any red head units?-aaaaauphdisaaaaaapbnuq.jpg   Are there any red head units?-cdxm30.jpg  
Old 11-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
bmarshall46 is on a distinguished road
bmarshall46's Tacoma Gallery
hey i was in the same boat as you. i went with the alpine 9887 b/c whrn u switch it to red everything goes red so it matches inside perfect , but the radio is kinda expensive. Also it is a little overwhelming to adjust but it looks good for sure
Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
CK91 is on a distinguished road
CK91's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i have the 9887 too..its a little pricey but it has endless sound adjustments, and it has 5 different lighting schemes. I set mine on orange and red and it blends in with the dash perfectly. My vote is the 9887
Old 11-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
By the title of this thread, I thought you were refering to a red-headed woman.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm using the Alpine iDA-X100. Anything you see in blue can become red. Also (though I haven't gotten it to work yet) you can go on Alpine's site and download a background that turns some of it orange.

It's on the spendier side. Consider the iDA-X300 if that's an issue, but note that I find that model a bit harder to control due to the display.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #13
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
that's the HU i am running

you can switch the blue lights to red.... i prefer the blue...

Could you post a pic of your dash to show how this unit looks in the light?
I'm getting a stereo for my birthday and I like this one. Crutchfield says it won't fit, so does it actually fit fine or did you have to fab something for it to work? Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
I know, what a let down!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
My other ride has sails

Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
I know, what a let down!

That explains all the views
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
Could you post a pic of your dash to show how this unit looks in the light?
I'm getting a stereo for my birthday and I like this one. Crutchfield says it won't fit, so does it actually fit fine or did you have to fab something for it to work? Thanks!

fits perfect.

it flips out, it just doesn't go 100% down, more like 90%, but its not an issue to put cd's in or take them out, nor is it an issue to remove or install the face plate

not a great pic but you get the idea

Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crutchfield has the Alpine CDA-9884 with Free Ipod adapter for $179.99 was $199.99.
Item # 500CDA9884

I just got their magazine in the mail today.

Any order over $249 ships free.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Crutchfield has the Alpine CDA-9884 with Free Ipod adapter for $179.99 was $199.99.
Item # 500CDA9884

I just got their magazine in the mail today.

Any order over $249 ships free.
$169.99 online

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...4&i=500CDA9884

free shipping on car orders over $129

the other nice thing about crutchfield is they throw in the dash kit and wire harness for free.

The price irks me, since its dropped since i got mine 2 months ago. on the bright side, it was the gf that paid for it.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
$169.99 online

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...4&i=500CDA9884

free shipping on car orders over $129

the other nice thing about crutchfield is they throw in the dash kit and wire harness for free.

The price irks me, since its dropped since i got mine 2 months ago. on the bright side, it was the gf that paid for it.

That is great! Online is cheaper.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #20
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
fits perfect.

it flips out, it just doesn't go 100% down, more like 90%, but its not an issue to put cd's in or take them out, nor is it an issue to remove or install the face plate

not a great pic but you get the idea

Thanks! Looks good, much cleaner than the stock one. What is that below the stereo?