Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Aux button works SOMETIMES / malfunction

Old 11-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
DreDog is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Aux button works SOMETIMES / malfunction

I have a 2009 prerunner and when i push my aux button on my stock head unit, so I can listen to my iPod, it goes to aux mode..but will sometimes go back to the regular radio. Ad I'll have to push the button like 10 times to get it to finally go back to my iPod. Or sometimes I have to unplug my aux cord and plug it back in to the jack and then push the button on my dash like 5 more times for it to go back to aux mode for my iPod.

It is the most fucking annoying thing on earth. Does this happen to any of you guys? What can I do about it?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #2

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #3

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The 09 radios are junk. People have reported many issues with them.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #5

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Well I was in a 2011 taco the other day and I noticed that now they have a USB port.

Could I play my iPod through the USB?

Or what should I do to fix that problem? I was looking at te USA spec 15 but do t wanna spend 100 for a stupid aux jack problem
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

They changed the stereo a bit for 2012 to incorporate the USB input and other features. I'm not sure if it would work on the older trucks.

Have you looked into an ipod interface like Grom or USA Spec? It would be cheaper than buying a newer stock unit. I have the USA Spec unit and I love it. I got is for $120 shipped from ebay. Another option is a new headunit unless you want to stick with the stock one.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
I Don't have any plans on getting a new head unit. Or a different stock one.

I have looked at a few different grom and USA spec models. I don't need to charge or control anything from my radio or steering wheel but I was just hoping that there was some way I could directly connect my iPhone to the radio with a cable just so that I could bypass using the aux jack

Kind of like a caveman solution
Old 11-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Banned
There is the aux mod where you solder in a 3.5mm jack to the back of the headunit. Grom also offers a plain AUX input interface but it doesn't charge.

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapt...e_adapter.html
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #9

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I saw the grom thing. Do you have the link to the DIY?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Banned
Well since you have the AUX input already I think this uses the same circuit.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...head-unit.html
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't your truck still under warranty? Take it to the dealer before you start ripping shit apart.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Michael
MMazz365's Tacoma Gallery
I have a similar problem, and it aggrivates me so much. I cant even use mine. Next time it's in the dealer im gonna have them replace it
Old 11-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #13

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
No way. The dealer is a bunch of idiots. I USED to have my cb plugged into my my cig lighter. Then one day it went out so I took it to the dealer. And they wired the cig to something else and after that, when I would plug the cb in, it kept blowing the cb's fuse.

So now I have my cb wired to the battery.

The dealer has no idea what there doing. That's why I do my own stuff now, plus you have to wait for like 4 hours for them to do it, and try jut make it worse
Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #14

DreDog's Tacoma Gallery
Whipper snapper I saw that DIY but was nervous to try it. But now I guess I have no choice but to do it
Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDog View Post
Well I was in a 2011 taco the other day and I noticed that now they have a USB port.

Could I play my iPod through the USB?

Or what should I do to fix that problem? I was looking at te USA spec 15 but do t wanna spend 100 for a stupid aux jack problem
Are you sure you weren't looking at the 2012? I have a 2011 Taco with the white gauges, unless I"m missing it I don't have a usb port. I have a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
PhishPhryer is a jewel in the roughPhishPhryer is a jewel in the roughPhishPhryer is a jewel in the roughPhishPhryer is a jewel in the rough

Name: John
PhishPhryer's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem. I took it to the stealership and they told me the aux jack was faulty and it would be $200 to replace. Anyone ever try to replace one on their own.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
mk7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mk7's Tacoma Gallery
DreDog,
Did you get this fixed? I believe the AUX input jack has a sense switch that is used to detect when a cable is plugged in. You could connect the jack sense signal to the active state so your Headunit thinks that that a cable is always plugged in. I don't have a any details on how do this, I would have to take mine apart. There should be three wires for audio and an addional wire for the jack sense. You need a multimeter to check the wiring. The left audio channel is connected to the tip of the cable, the right audio channel is connected to the ring of the cable, and ground is connected to the sleeve. The jack sense will be switched by the connector when a cable is plugged in.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Rmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really niceRmesa1 is just really nice
Rmesa1's Tacoma Gallery
Try a new cable if that doesn't work you probably need a new aux jack. They are easy to install the plug is right on the back.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
gopedguy101 will become famous soon enoughgopedguy101 will become famous soon enough

gopedguy101's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys I have a question and I hope its ok to post this here. I have an 05 taco and I want to run an aux cable to it (I have looked through tons on threads but have not seen what I want) I found a guy selling a head unit from his '11. He said you just run a aux cable from the back and your good to go. Is that right?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-new-guy.html
Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #20
Don't buy a Ford
bishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shedbishtacova is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B
bishtacova's Tacoma Gallery
Same issue here in my 09 prerunner. The unit was replaced a while back. I have one month left on warranty as my aux jack is loose.