Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

help picking best sub???

Old 11-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
TRDfarmerTN is on a distinguished road
TRDfarmerTN's Tacoma Gallery
help picking best sub???

thinking of getting a single 12" sub box for my double cab taco, it has a mounting depth of 5" whats best sounding sub i should get, and prob a good amp with a remote gain control which to get??
Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Best sub is what sounds best to you. I asked the same question not too long ago and I am glad I got that answer. After going to a shop I got the subs that sounded the exact way I wanted.

As a reference and only based on my opinion which will not be as accurate as many knowledgeable people here:

Kicker = Big Boom, not very accurate, lower price
Alpine = Decent Boom, good accuracy, decent price
JL = Big Boom, decent accuracy, higher price

Then again, all these brands have different lines of sub which can be better than other brands. It all depends on the money you want to spend.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
sound pressure or sound quality?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Liquid I View Post
Best sub is what sounds best to you. I asked the same question not too long ago and I am glad I got that answer. After going to a shop I got the subs that sounded the exact way I wanted.

As a reference and only based on my opinion which will not be as accurate as many knowledgeable people here:

Kicker = Big Boom, not very accurate, lower price
Alpine = Decent Boom, good accuracy, decent price
JL = Big Boom, decent accuracy, higher price

Then again, all these brands have different lines of sub which can be better than other brands. It all depends on the money you want to spend.
lol are you serious? theres way too many variables, you were standing in a ROOM listning to subs that will be in a VEHICLE in a TOTALLY different box on a different amp.

the way a sub will sound is completley dependant on vehicle, air space, box design amp and settings.....the list goes on

i love how everyone here figures those 3 companies is all that car audio has to offer, their marketing scams are working.

everyone has to offer the the chevy cavalier, and ford focus of subs huh?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
it kind of hard asking this question because everybody has a different taste in bass, and everybody just starts talking smack about the brands and shitso. but imma tell you i had a single memphis c3 12 inch sub in my truck and i did not like it...... It was just to much bass for the space the truck has.... but if you like listening to bass instead of the song then go for it.... i sold it and switched to an alpine single 10 inch with a ported box and an alpine digital amp and i loved it, it sounds way clear and accurate..... best sounding location to put the box is right behind your seat facing up.

Alot of people had told me that they like how my system sounds because its not to loud and it sound clear, they think its a 12 until they see it just one 10 inch sub.
But its up to you try to get some friends to let you hook up there sub in your truck so you can see what you want before you buy it....
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I hate to say it, but whatever sub you get, make sure it can handle alot of power. You're already asking for a remote gain knob.... I know how those go....

Personally, I have a single rockford 10" shallow mount, and you wouldn't ever think that I have this tiny little 10 back there. It takes every little bit of power I throw at it....
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
lol are you serious? theres way too many variables, you were standing in a ROOM listning to subs that will be in a VEHICLE in a TOTALLY different box on a different amp.

the way a sub will sound is completley dependant on vehicle, air space, box design amp and settings.....the list goes on

i love how everyone here figures those 3 companies is all that car audio has to offer, their marketing scams are working.

everyone has to offer the the chevy cavalier, and ford focus of subs huh?
Can you please learn how to read? I already stated that what I was saying was only based on my personal experience, which wasn't much. My personal experience is with those brands, and I do not know much of the others, hence why I would not go on talking about other brands.

I also suggested to him to go listen to the subs in a store, which is the only way he would be able to know how the sub might sound. If you are against going to a store to try something before you buy it, then I should just stop this reply here, since logic would seem to not work on you.

Finally stop generalizing about how everyone this or that. It is annoying and honestly makes anything you say a moot point.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
htowntaco23 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
htowntaco23's Tacoma Gallery
One place that sells both a sub and a box is www.tacotunes.com they have either 10 inch or 12 inch
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
how about narrowing it down to the best shallow mount sub to go with??
Old 11-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
go to a shop and listen to different brands.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I like my Rockford forgave p3 10" punch. But that doesn't mean you will, I'd say get what's best for what you need it to do
Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDfarmerTN View Post
how about narrowing it down to the best shallow mount sub to go with??
JL Audio is a good choice. My stereo guy has been non stop talking about how good the shallow mount Alpine type R sounds. It's so subjective though, its hard to say....
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
The main things you want to consider when adding a sub in the way you're wanting to would be:
1. Am I buying a good, quality, brand name speaker? JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, Memphis Audio, etc
2. Do I have enough power for my speaker? I'm running 1000 watts to a 12" Memphis in my truck. The amp is just a generic mono sub amp, but it's bass power and it's more than enough power. You're better off having a little more headroom when you buy an amp for your sub.
3. Is the box I have my speaker in built solid? Personally, I prefer a good sized sealed box. Provides a more accurate punch and cuts down on modulation from standing waves.

I would recommend a JL or Memphis 12" in a sealed box and at least an 800 watt amp.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
thanks guys...ive looked at JL but all i can find in a shallow mount is the 13tw5 sub,, no just 12" subs....also thought about the memphis like u said..ive had there door speakers in the past and liked them.....

some ppl are tellin me alpine also, but ive never had anything of theres before, and no one around here has anything to listen too