1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help picking best sub???

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TRDfarmerTN, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    thinking of getting a single 12" sub box for my double cab taco, it has a mounting depth of 5" whats best sounding sub i should get, and prob a good amp with a remote gain control which to get??

2. Nov 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Best sub is what sounds best to you. I asked the same question not too long ago and I am glad I got that answer. After going to a shop I got the subs that sounded the exact way I wanted.

As a reference and only based on my opinion which will not be as accurate as many knowledgeable people here:

Kicker = Big Boom, not very accurate, lower price
    Alpine = Decent Boom, good accuracy, decent price
    JL = Big Boom, decent accuracy, higher price

Then again, all these brands have different lines of sub which can be better than other brands. It all depends on the money you want to spend.

3. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    elblako91

elblako91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    sound pressure or sound quality?

4. Nov 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    lol are you serious? theres way too many variables, you were standing in a ROOM listning to subs that will be in a VEHICLE in a TOTALLY different box on a different amp.

the way a sub will sound is completley dependant on vehicle, air space, box design amp and settings.....the list goes on

i love how everyone here figures those 3 companies is all that car audio has to offer, their marketing scams are working.

everyone has to offer the the chevy cavalier, and ford focus of subs huh?

5. Nov 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    it kind of hard asking this question because everybody has a different taste in bass, and everybody just starts talking smack about the brands and shitso. but imma tell you i had a single memphis c3 12 inch sub in my truck and i did not like it...... It was just to much bass for the space the truck has.... but if you like listening to bass instead of the song then go for it.... i sold it and switched to an alpine single 10 inch with a ported box and an alpine digital amp and i loved it, it sounds way clear and accurate..... best sounding location to put the box is right behind your seat facing up.

Alot of people had told me that they like how my system sounds because its not to loud and it sound clear, they think its a 12 until they see it just one 10 inch sub.
    But its up to you try to get some friends to let you hook up there sub in your truck so you can see what you want before you buy it....

6. Nov 5, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I hate to say it, but whatever sub you get, make sure it can handle alot of power. You're already asking for a remote gain knob.... I know how those go....

Personally, I have a single rockford 10" shallow mount, and you wouldn't ever think that I have this tiny little 10 back there. It takes every little bit of power I throw at it....

7. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Can you please learn how to read? I already stated that what I was saying was only based on my personal experience, which wasn't much. My personal experience is with those brands, and I do not know much of the others, hence why I would not go on talking about other brands.

I also suggested to him to go listen to the subs in a store, which is the only way he would be able to know how the sub might sound. If you are against going to a store to try something before you buy it, then I should just stop this reply here, since logic would seem to not work on you.

Finally stop generalizing about how everyone this or that. It is annoying and honestly makes anything you say a moot point.

8. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    htowntaco23

htowntaco23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    Carr side steps, Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust, Spyder projector headlights, black housing LED taillights, 2 10' JL Audio subs, Polk amp, Famous Fabrication hood mount brackets, 2 Rigid Industries Dually LEDs
    One place that sells both a sub and a box is www.*********.com they have either 10 inch or 12 inch

9. Nov 6, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

Member:
    how about narrowing it down to the best shallow mount sub to go with??

10. Nov 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    go to a shop and listen to different brands.

11. Nov 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I like my Rockford forgave p3 10" punch. But that doesn't mean you will, I'd say get what's best for what you need it to do

12. Nov 6, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    DanglingFury

DanglingFury Creeper

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Bowling Green, KY/Lake Cumberland, KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner 4x4
    Daystar 2.5"/1" lift-level BFGoodrich KO2's
    The main things you want to consider when adding a sub in the way you're wanting to would be:
    1. Am I buying a good, quality, brand name speaker? JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, Memphis Audio, etc
    2. Do I have enough power for my speaker? I'm running 1000 watts to a 12" Memphis in my truck. The amp is just a generic mono sub amp, but it's bass power and it's more than enough power. You're better off having a little more headroom when you buy an amp for your sub.
    3. Is the box I have my speaker in built solid? Personally, I prefer a good sized sealed box. Provides a more accurate punch and cuts down on modulation from standing waves.

I would recommend a JL or Memphis 12" in a sealed box and at least an 800 watt amp.

13. Nov 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

Member:
    thanks guys...ive looked at JL but all i can find in a shallow mount is the 13tw5 sub,, no just 12" subs....also thought about the memphis like u said..ive had there door speakers in the past and liked them.....

some ppl are tellin me alpine also, but ive never had anything of theres before, and no one around here has anything to listen too

Products Discussed in

To Top