1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

sub question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by LonghornTaco, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 200S and I'm looking to run 2 10s behind the seat of my double cab.

I was looking at the Pioneer TS-SW0141D (http://www.pioneerusa.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Subwoofers/Shallow/TS-SW1041D?tab=B). Will this amp handle these speakers pretty good (or vice versa)? I had this amp running two Kicker 10s a long time ago, then the whole sub box got taken out of the car. So, this amp has seen very little use...

If this speaker isn't a good fit for this amp, can someone recommend a better one? I always liked JL Audio, but not sure how shallow of a sub I need for behind the seats.

Thanks!

2. Nov 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Also, I'm going to build the boxes myself and I'd like to fit them inside the plastic compartments behind the seat. I really don't want to take them out - so, if that makes a difference on sub selection....... :)

3. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:01 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Hey jason awesome sub choice i have the 10" in my truck and it pushes hard, two 10's would be nice the amp im pushing it with is a rockford fosgate 300-1 i couldnt be happier with the outcome
    [​IMG]

4. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    So, you get plenty out of just 1 10? I was thinking two, but I'm not a huge bass head. However, I thought I might be disappointed with just one.

Where did you mount the amp?

5. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i'd get a bigger amp

6. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:08 PM
    SocalMan22

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Amp is under the driver seat clears no problem its alot of bass for one sub theres a guy i met had 3 subs and said my one sub sounded better deeper bass

7. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Would this amp work for just one 10?

8. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    That's good to know - maybe you just saved me some money! :)

9. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    SocalMan22

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
  10. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the pics!

11. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:20 PM
    SocalMan22

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    No worries.

12. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    If I get a new, more powerful amp for the sub, can I use this Punch 200s for anything else? The fronts maybe?

13. Nov 10, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Also, if I was to use that amp with a single 10" sub anyway, would it hurt anything or would it just not be as loud/bass-y?

14. Nov 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Note that '09ers should NOT install ANYTHING under their driver's seat... there's a post floating around about it on one of the other forums, but the jist of the matter is that all the airbag controls are down there. Installing stuff in that location voids the warranty, is considered dangerous, and a bunch of other no-no stuff.

15. Nov 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the heads up! Personally, I had planned on mounting the amp on an amp rack between the sub enclosures.

16. Nov 15, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Whats up Jason, Good choice on the subs. I am gonna be posting some pics on my profile soon of what I installed. I have 2 of the Pioneer Premier 10" subs rated at handling 250watts rms. I am running them with the Pioneer premier 1100 amp that puts out 300watts to each woofer at 2ohms and I have 0 problems with them and they sounds great. They are mounted behind the seat in a custom box I bought from mooseaudio on ebay. The box fits in there super tight and there is enough room to mount an amp on it as well but make sure you have L-shaped RCa cable connectors otherwise you will not have enough room. I put my amp under the seat a I have an 08 and there are two connections down there, one if for the airbag and the other is the seat belt sensor. No big deal if the amp is down there because all wires are protected by a metal crossbar which actually can scratch the amp if the seat is rapidly moved forward or backward. you just gotta be careful there. Last thing to note is Front speakers if you do decide to upgrade them, which i highly recommend the stocks are SH!T. You need to buy a set of spacer mounts for the new speakers. I got mine on taco tunes and they went in rather smoothly. LEt me know if u have any other questions as I really enjoyed hooking mine up.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Nov 15, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tip! I'm actually considering upgrading the door speakers as well while I'm at it (already aware of the need for baffles), but haven't decided if that's what I want to spend that money on.

What front speakers did you install? And if you amp'd them, which amp did you use?

Also, how do you wire a 4 ohm speaker to 2 ohm?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Nov 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Good Questions let me make sure I answer this correctly:

I pretty much stayed uniform in my setup and went with pioneer all the way around. The amp I am using is the PRS-d1100 I believe and it is rated for 400wattsx1-channel at 4-ohms or 600wattsx1-channel at 2-ohms. Because of the 10" pioneer subs only have a single voice coil they are easier to wire and allow you to split the resistance from the amp from 4 to 2 ohms when hooking up 2 subs as I have. Does that make sense? Two single voice coil 4-Ohm subs can handle a 2-ohm load from the amp because the resistance is split. If you buy a Dual voice coil sub this will not work thats why I liked the Pioneer Shallow mounts cause of their SVC.

As far as speakers go I just went with the 2-way 6x9 pioneer D-series up front and the 6.5's in the back. I wired those to the PRSd4100 amp and get 75wattsx4-channles. The only other thing I changed upfront was I added some infinity tweeters in the front as well. Component system probably would have been the way to go but I have 0 complaints on my sound.

19. Nov 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    NOTICE: I'm not an expert here, but I know a little. Below, you will see a portion that's open for correction. I trust atsaubrey or mr marv to correct my work, but there's some others around as well. Don't trust me (or any one other person, for that matter) to get it right! :p

Actually, a DVC (dual voice coil) sub will provide more flexibility than a single voice coil. With SVC subs, you have to buy more subs to make a resistance change.

1. Buy a DVC sub at 2Ω per coil. Wire it in series, and you get a 4Ω resistance.
    2. Buy a second DVC sub, again at 2Ω per coil. Keep them wired in series, and you get a 2Ω resistance.

-------------------------------------
    OK, this portion above I know works. This next part someone needs to check my work:

If you stop here, there's really no point in buying DVC (DVC is a bit more costly, and the same setup can be done with the SVCs). However, let's say we move to a different amp, one that wants a 1Ω load, and our subs can handle the power rating at that resistance. If you had the SVC subs, you would need to buy a third sub. With the DVC subs you bought, you simply re-wire them in parallel, and they give a 0.5Ω load.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

This can be a little confusing, but try reading this.

20. Nov 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Yes Chickenmunga is right, But you were looking at the same subs as I have so I was just providing insight to what I have done. A Dual Voice Coil sub provides more flexibility in how you wire your system however if u know what then there is no problem.

What is your amp rated for watts at 2 and 4 ohms? Wiring for a 2ohm load will usually always give your more power to the woofer. This is mainly dependent upon wiring in series or parallel

Products Discussed in

To Top