1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jl Audo Stealth Box 05 Double Cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DBitar, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    DBitar

DBitar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 LongBed
    I was looking into buying a jl audio stealth box with the 10 tens built for the double cab toyota tacoma, but i was a little iffy because its so exepensive, does anyone have it and can vouche for it being worth it or not? thanks.

2. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    Holy shit Ten 10's?!

Jk it's a clean set up

3. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    I had the JL stealth box in my 2001 F150 and man........................ DA BOMB! its worth it

4. Nov 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    DBitar

DBitar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 LongBed
    haha ya they are just tens but i dont wana have to take out seats anymore. so im trying to find alternate ways.

5. Aug 31, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    disassemble

disassemble Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 double
    the stealth box in my 2001 is RIDICULOUS! i NEED to buy the JL Stealthbox for my new 2012. 100% no question. i think it removes the stock sub and just replaces with bolt in parts.. not sure yet.. ill buy and let you kno

6. Aug 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I find it to be over priced for what it sounds like.

Yes, it is a very clean sounding setup. However, you can build it with the same parts for A LOT cheaper.

If you can't build a box and can't find someone to do it, go for it.. But it is over priced like everything JL sells.

7. Aug 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I have it. One of the first things I bought after getting the truck. I love it! I'm pretty well known on here for being knowledgeable in mobile electronics, specifically sound systems. I have years of experience in this area and have always been a big advocate of JL audio. If you plan on using a cheap amp, then don't waste your money. But if your going to use a good quality amp (I highly recommend JL) then its worth every penny.

In all honesty, I believe that a custom made box with the same subs is more capable of sounding better than JLs box, however, finding someone who knows how to build a box better than a JL box is pretty rare, and it would cost just as much. You can just throw some mdf wood and fiberglass together and call it a custom box. It takes much knowledge in geometry and algebra as well as craftsman skills to make a better box. Hence the reason why they have scientists design these things ans charge about $700 for them.

In the end, its worth it. This is what I tell everyone who asks about the stealthbox.....

If your into the low-ridin' want ur truck to go "boom, boom" from half a mile away.. this box is NOT for you!

If you are willing to spend a little extra to have an amazingly clean install and a perfect acoustic sound designed specifically for our trucks, and most importantly you understand that subwoofers are more than just to vibrate your nose hairs and you want good clean sound, then this is for you. But ONLY if you use a good amp with it.

Another benefit is the box bolts to the rear cab wall, making theft way more difficult!

Hope all this helps. Oh btw, where are you located? I get these boxes at just above cost, but I will not ship. So if your local in socal, pm me.

8. Aug 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    rwhite188

rwhite188 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Texarkana, Ar
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TX Pro TRD
    I could not justify spending that much for JL Audio. I found a probox that someone had blown the speakers in and bought it and put in (2) 8 inch Alpine R's. It sounds great and cost me about half as much.

9. Aug 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Just preference I suppose. I'm just not a big fan of Type-R subs. I think the JL is cleaner and tighter. But its all just listening preference. Like I said I'm sure a much cheaper sub box can be purchase or built, but I'm happy with it. Not sure I'd pay full price for it though. I guess it's easier for me to say cuz I paid less then $500 for mine total so I'm slightly biased.

10. Sep 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    disassemble

disassemble Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 double
    Thanks for taking the time to write that up for me. I truly am a fan of clean professionalism. You just sealed the deal for me. I love my 10w3 with my 2001 tacoma so this one should be amazing.

What amp do you reccomend and where should I buy it? I was going to purchase the stealth box from here <== do you think thats a good place?

I also wanted to purchase the same remote start I had in my 2001. The Viper. Can someone reccomend a good place to purchase it on the internet?

Any other tips you may have let me know. I'm really excited about building this new truck. My 2001 is completly done and now this is the next project.

thanks again

i'm from NJ

11. Sep 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Jiinx

Jiinx Active Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I got my Stealthbox off Cutchfield and power it with a Rockford Fosgate P 500-2 and it hits pretty good... no complaints. You should be fine ordering it off techronics.com. Price is not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...20047&sr=1-1&keywords=rockford+fosgate+p500-2

I've had the viper 5902 with remote start for a year in a half now and its performed as good as i could have expected. Bought off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-5902-Re...8&qid=1346519627&sr=1-15&keywords=viper+alarm

Overall, I'm totally satisfied with my set-up. Could be better, could be worse.. but if I had to do it over again, I'd still get the Stealthbox. Clean install, clean sound, good bass.

IMG_2364.jpg

12. Mar 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    tjwomble93

tjwomble93 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner XSP
    35% tint front 5% rear, carbon fiber interior, pioneer touchscreen head unit, borla intake and exhaust, kicker tweeters
    Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting custom subs and can't decide between a completely custom setup at my local shop (two 10" dd audio 1000w series, custom box, 1000w dd audio amp) for $950 or this setup used for $200-$300? is the extra money really worth it?

Products Discussed in

To Top