1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Factroy Radio Upgrade from 07 to 11

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by clcowboy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Nov 16, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    clcowboy

clcowboy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield, IL
    Vehicle:
    SRD 2WD TRD
    I am thinking about upgrading my factory radio in my 07 access cab to a 2011 factory radio. This new radio has xm satellite radio. My 07 radio didn't have satellite radio. Is there much to do to get this upgrade to satellite to work in my 07 or is there a kit I need to buy to make the satellite work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

2. Nov 16, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Why not just get an aftermarket unit? Way more bang for your buck with an aftermarket unit anyways.

You'll get better sound quality, ability to control Ipods and other USB devices, satelite radio, a lot of the new ones can stream Pandora internet radio. Seems like a no brainer to me. Also IMO the stock radio isn't all that attractive and looks kinda cheap.

3. Nov 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    clcowboy

clcowboy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield, IL
    Vehicle:
    SRD 2WD TRD
    Thanks for the message. My friend did that very thing and sold me he stock radio for next to nothing. Also, I wanted a satellite radio for trips and thought this would be the cheaper way. Just don't know if I have to add alot of extra equipment since my truck didn't come stock with satellite radio. Thanks for the advice.:)

4. Nov 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    FWIW I did the same thing, purchased a 2011 factory stereo for my 08 so I could do the ipod and sat radio thing. You will run into a snag with the aftermarket antenna interface to the factory stereo. Here is a post I made in another topic on what I plan to do to resolve the antenna interface:
    "So I finally pulled the trigger, and decided I would purchase the SFA12M Cable from eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/150697241159...witem=&vxp=mtr

if that link doesn't work, then here is another list of sources:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sfa1...w=1366&bih=646

I then Purchased an SMB Jack Connector from here:
    http://www.surplussales.com/Connectors/SMB.html

Once the parts get in, I plan to cut the SFA12M cable down to ~1 foot, and attach the SMB jack connector to the cable so I have a plug and play solution.

This is to adapt a factory 2011 Toyota Tacoma JBL 6 disk changer with internal satellite tuner to an aftermarket Sirius/XM antenna.

The sad part is the doggone adapter cable and SMB connector combo cost 3 times what the antenna cost!! But once completed, I will be able to use any aftermarket antenna with the factory stereo.

Ill let ya know how it works out once I get the parts and cable made! "
    Let me know if you find another solution!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top