Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

GPS or Built In Nav?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Kaddy08 is on a distinguished road
Kaddy08's Tacoma Gallery
GPS or Built In Nav?

I was wondering if its worth it too upgrade my stereo with built in Nav, or get seperate GPS. Thanks for any replys and info
Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
thogether
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
JGUT will become famous soon enough
JGUT's Tacoma Gallery
If you're gonna do a built in gps I would recommend Pioneer or Kenwood. They look nice but the disadvantage is you can't take it with you from vehicle to vehicle.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
camsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura about

camsbored's Tacoma Gallery
Lets see...

Stock HU + Garmin Nuvi (or equivalent) w/ 4" screen ~ $400-500
New HU with Garmin nav software, iPod connection, DVD player,, Bluetooth, 7" screen ~ $800-1400

I went with the latter. Just depends on how much you would like those other features. I appreciate that the nav will lower the volume of music to tell me where to turn. I had a Tomtom 720 (~$450 last fall) that I used for 6 months, but as soon as I got the truck I decided I'd get an all-in-one unit. It's just nice to have all of the features there and playing nice with each other. Also, I don't have cords hanging around all over the place.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Just looked in the paper and the navi's are lower than last year i saw a magellan maestro 3200 for 99.99 pretty cheap i would just get a portable if you dont want to spend much, I have a tom tom awesome navi.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Just let your girl friend/wife hold the map and give directions, same thing and free and you still get there after hearing turn around about 6 times!

but truly the all in one is the best way to go I like the Kenwood dnx-5120 it is a good option for around $600
Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
i say separate, so you can move the gps to another vehicle on the fly, plus the built in ones will require you to run a gps antenna (not a big deal, just pointing out the differences). The portable ones are going to be a little easier to upgrade since you can take them in the house and plug them directly to the computer, and if you get a dvd player in the dash (non-nav just dvd) you can easily bypass the function that keeps you from watching a dvd while you are moving. This function is much harder to bypass on units that have navigation built in. If you are looking at pioneer ones there is a forum where guys have been doing software hacks and are able to switch between nav and dvd while moving, you can check it out at:

http://www.avic411.com/
Old 11-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Garmin Nuvi. Got it on Ebay for less than $200. Can take it to whatever car I want, plus it fits nicely on the windshiled in the corner by the driver's side window. It also has several hours of battery backup, so you can take it with you wherever. I've never had an in-dash nav, but as small as portable GPS devices are now, I don't think I'll ever shell-out the cash for in-dash.

Plus... use this deal on Ebay and save 25%!