1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wires disconnected during radio install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CTTacomaGirl, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    CTTacomaGirl

CTTacomaGirl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Janet
    Manchester, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    Hi,

I drive a 2001 Toyota Tacoma - bought it used with 160K but it runs like a top.

There are several electrical thingys that don't work and I suspect it's because some connections were unplugged during a radio replacement. (I check the fuses and they all work.)

What doesn't work:

Cigarette lighter
    2 power outlets below the lighter
    Light in gear shift box

Am I going to have to remove the dashboard to get at these connections, or will I be able to just remove the radio (I am replacing it soon anyway) and reconnect them?

Thanks

Janet

2. Nov 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    If you're replacing the radio soon, and I'm assuming that you'll have a shop do it, just tell the installer and ask if he/she can take a look for a simple solution.

Lighter/power outlets, likely they're unplugged.

Light in the gear shift box.... you talking about the lights that show what gear its in or what? I'm a little confused on that part - it's been a few years since I climbed into a Gen 1

And since it's Post #1 for ya, Welcome as well ;)

3. Nov 20, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    CTTacomaGirl

CTTacomaGirl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Janet
    Manchester, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    Thanks for the welcome, GabeJ,

The drive letters should be lit up at night so you can see what gear you are in (although I usually know what gear I am in, it would be nice to know for sure so I don't back up into hubby's car.)

I was actually going to try and install a new radio myeslf, but I don't have a manual, so I think it could be tricky to figure out where the unplugged connections go.)

Are there manuals on this site?

Thanks

CTTacomaGirl:confused:

4. Nov 20, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Radio install is pretty straight forward...

Hopefully whoever put the radio in that's in there now didn't butcher the factory wire harness... If they didn't you can reuse what's in there or get a new one, they're like $10, and at that point, it's color coded.

I'm sure that there are some threads here in the A&V subforum that will give you directions on taking it apart - I'm just spacing mentally on how the factory radio comes out.

and for the most part, installing a radio in a 1st gen is pretty simple - was always one of my fav vehicles to work on when I was installing.

5. Nov 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Welcome to TW, Janet!

There are online resources that might help. Check out the and Toyota Owner's Manual appropriate for your Tacoma.

Also, note that online stereo retailers like Crutchfield include detailed installation instructions along with required wiring harnesses/adapters for the equipment they sell. (The one I recently received should be valid for your truck too.)

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top