Notices

Wires disconnected during radio install

Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
CTTacomaGirl is on a distinguished road
Name: Janet
CTTacomaGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Wires disconnected during radio install

Hi,

I drive a 2001 Toyota Tacoma - bought it used with 160K but it runs like a top.

There are several electrical thingys that don't work and I suspect it's because some connections were unplugged during a radio replacement. (I check the fuses and they all work.)

What doesn't work:

Cigarette lighter
2 power outlets below the lighter
Light in gear shift box

Am I going to have to remove the dashboard to get at these connections, or will I be able to just remove the radio (I am replacing it soon anyway) and reconnect them?

Thanks

Janet
Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
If you're replacing the radio soon, and I'm assuming that you'll have a shop do it, just tell the installer and ask if he/she can take a look for a simple solution.

Lighter/power outlets, likely they're unplugged.

Light in the gear shift box.... you talking about the lights that show what gear its in or what? I'm a little confused on that part - it's been a few years since I climbed into a Gen 1

And since it's Post #1 for ya, Welcome as well
Old 11-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
CTTacomaGirl is on a distinguished road
Name: Janet
CTTacomaGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Unplugged electrical connections

Thanks for the welcome, GabeJ,

The drive letters should be lit up at night so you can see what gear you are in (although I usually know what gear I am in, it would be nice to know for sure so I don't back up into hubby's car.)

I was actually going to try and install a new radio myeslf, but I don't have a manual, so I think it could be tricky to figure out where the unplugged connections go.)

Are there manuals on this site?

Thanks

CTTacomaGirl
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Radio install is pretty straight forward...

Hopefully whoever put the radio in that's in there now didn't butcher the factory wire harness... If they didn't you can reuse what's in there or get a new one, they're like $10, and at that point, it's color coded.

I'm sure that there are some threads here in the A&V subforum that will give you directions on taking it apart - I'm just spacing mentally on how the factory radio comes out.

and for the most part, installing a radio in a 1st gen is pretty simple - was always one of my fav vehicles to work on when I was installing.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, Janet!

There are online resources that might help. Check out the Toyota Factory Service Manuals and Toyota Owner's Manual appropriate for your Tacoma.

Also, note that online stereo retailers like Crutchfield include detailed installation instructions along with required wiring harnesses/adapters for the equipment they sell. (The one I recently received should be valid for your truck too.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crutchfield Master Sheet.pdf (401.6 KB, 156 views)