1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

quick box design question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jpf8653, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Jpf8653

Jpf8653 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    If a ported box is built with the airspace recommended in its design for a specific sub. no matter what sub. is that considered tuning the box, or is tuning a ported box a complete different animal on top of airsapce?

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Grammar check??

I think you're asking if a pre-built ported box is designed for a specific sub or not... maybe I'm wrong but the answer is no, a pre-built ported box is generic in size, with the idea that it will work for a large number of woofers.

Tuning a ported enclosure (IMO) is designing a port (round) or vent (rectangular) that is tuned to give higher output at a specific frequency, which is also completely independent from the air space requirement for the sub.

I could be wrong, and I welcome corrections.

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    Ok no I'm asking something different. My box was built with my sub in mind. The cubic feet internally for ported enclosure(given from manufacture) was used to build the box. So on top of that What does tuning do? Or is the box "tuned" already? Mr Marv built
    It.

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Ok forgive me I see what ur saying. Air space is there and the port has to be tuned. Both play a role and or seperate from one another.

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    if the box was built from the manufacturer spec sheet, then your box is most likely tuned already.

Again....

Yes, they both play a role in how the sub is going to perform, but they are also seperate and independent of each other

Products Discussed in

To Top