1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Connecting to Parking Brake switch hot wire

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by STxTaco, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    STxTaco

STxTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    AVIC Z130BT install is coming along....got the VSS and Reverse wires soldered to wires leading back to the harness.

Parking brake switch is a BITCH to get to. I'm trying to couple the light green wire and cannot figure out how to get in that small space enough to get the electrical tape off of the wires leading to the switch so that I can figure out which one to splice into. I used a mirror and light to find it and I am almost ready to punt....PITA!!

Any suggestions?

2. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.

If your intentions are to override the parking brake, any 12v source works on the head unit. It doesn't know the brake from anything else. As long as the wire to the head unit thinks it is engaged it will override the function. For instance I can watcg DVD's while driving and play with my nav because I have power going to the head unit making it think the brake is engaged.

3. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    saitcho

saitcho Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    That wont work on the Z130bt. To bypass the parking brake you need to modify the wiring harness by moving one of the wires to a different pinout.

4. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    I read that I should connect the light green wire to a ground wire....a hot wire might fry my head unit. Will connecting to a ground get me working? Without the green wire connected a number of items are greyed out, (bluetooth, dvd, etc.)

5. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    I don't necessarily want the bypass function...I just want my system to work and get it hooked up the easiest way possible. I can't get to the parking brake switch wire.

6. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    can you run a new wire to a point where you CAN access the parking brake wire like you want?

7. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    saitcho

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    If you dont care about bypassing it then you COULD wire a relay to 12v acc wire and then use the relay to act as a toggle for the parking brake. You could hide the relay switch somewhere out of the way like in the glove box. I've done this on other vehicles and it works fine. You just flip the switch to turn on/off the 12v signal to the parking brake wire.

However you should note that the z130 has a "feature" built in that will still prevent you from using the touch screen / gps while the vehicle is moving, even if you used this method. To truly bypass it you have to do the method found in this link.

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/31130-130bt-bypassed/

8. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    saitcho

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    If you aren't going to bypass I would definitely just wire it up to the parking brake. You'll have to find a way to get at that wire. Are you using vampire taps or something?

9. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Sounds like the easiest way is to go with the bypass....the parking brake switch wire is too hard for me to get to. Going for the bypass....

10. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    saitcho

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    be careful pulling out that pin. take your time and be sure to read that entire thread on avic411 bc it has some users who commented on their experiences with tips.

11. Nov 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    damn....none of this is easy.....that pin won't come out

12. Nov 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    It will, don't force it. Did you watch the video showing where how to pry up on the plastic to allow the pin to release? I found I had to put the harness in a bench vise just to hold it, otherwise I think the job requires two talented hands (not me) or three hands -- hence my use of a vice (just don't smash the thing, only enough to use the vice like a third hand).

13. Nov 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Wow....finally. That was definitely a bitch to get out of there. Now I know what stuck dogs feel like.

Tried out the unit and everything works except for my backup camera....maybe it needs to be grounded to the truck. Off to read about that....

14. Nov 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    No Backup Cam when I shift to reverse....crap.

15. Nov 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    i have a pioneer witht he dvd parking brake crap and ended up running the green wire to a pole on a switch and then iirc to a ground and since it needed a double pump of the parking brake to activate all i had to do is flick the switch twice and it worked. (my way of bypass) that was in my xterra and it worked flawlessly but im not 100% on the ground ill try to find out what i did.

16. Nov 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    but since its an avic dont they have a gyro in it to make sure the car is stopped? (just something ive read in the past)

17. Nov 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    sherlock

sherlock Well-Known Member

Member:

I know on Nissan's (to get Nav bypass and to play videos while driving) you need to ground the parking brake and place a switch on the VSS wire. (VSS must be switched) Access to the ground wire and VSS wire is made at the connector plugged into the back of the AV unit itself. Actually a very easy mod. You would need a copy of the Nissan repair manual AV section which shows what wire is what on the connector of your particular AV unit. I have done this bypass on a few new Nissan's.

18. Nov 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    I ended up going for the mod that is on YouTube. Moved the yellow/black wire (Mute wire) up one slot and grounded it with the light green wire. I suspect that my connection with the yellow/black wire was not good enough. Everything else is working just fine.

19. Nov 26, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    STxTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Got all the way to the end with a backup camera not working and one of four bolts that secures the HU didn't survive....I stripped the threads. I also need to run cables for near future addition of an amplifier and new speakers, GPS and XM antennas as well as the wire to the reverse camera.

I decided to take it in to a professional installer to finish the job. I did good....but...not quite perfect. Knowing that I soldered every single wire connection and heat shrunk almost all of the soldered connections gives me a good feeling about the final product.

It was definitely a learning experience....but I will pay to have it done next time.

20. Nov 27, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    saitcho

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    Cant say I blame you. Did you see my other comments in another thread where I came to the same exact conclusion? I've done installs in all my previous vehicles but with this one I threw in the towel out of frustration just trying to make the unit fit. Gotta say the pros were definitely worth the cost, especially as the work is warrantied for life and if something goes wrong I can take it back.

I love the radio too. You made a good choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top